none
Group Policy Managment Editor for SBS2008 "all removable storage classes: deny all access"

Question

• Hi There,

I have a question about enabling the "all removable storage classes: deny all access" group policy on SBS2008. I was wondering if there were a way to enable this policy so it would only affect users not administrators?

I am also having an issue enabling "prevent installation of removable devices" with in the Group Policy Managment Editor in computer configuration, the policy does not seem to set on all the computers on the network. I have to enable it on each computer.

Cheers,

Tim

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post.

I was wondering if there were a way to enable this policy so it would only affect users not administrators?
    No way to achieve the restriction to different users. Group policy could only restrict permission (read/write/no access) to all users. The workaround is to run script/change registry for this policy when administrators logon. In this case, you need to reboot your computers when administrators logoff. 

I am also having an issue enabling "prevent installation of removable devices" with in the Group Policy Managment Editor in computer configuration.
    Please ensure the GPO link to MyBussiness\Computers\SBSComputers OU. To this scenario, please read Device Management and Installation Step-by-Step Guide.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Just wondering that this setting is available in User configuration too: "all removable storage classes: deny all access"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772540(v=ws.10).aspx

We could use security filtering then to select which users/groups it would apply to.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post.

I was wondering if there were a way to enable this policy so it would only affect users not administrators?
    No way to achieve the restriction to different users. Group policy could only restrict permission (read/write/no access) to all users. The workaround is to run script/change registry for this policy when administrators logon. In this case, you need to reboot your computers when administrators logoff. 

I am also having an issue enabling "prevent installation of removable devices" with in the Group Policy Managment Editor in computer configuration.
    Please ensure the GPO link to MyBussiness\Computers\SBSComputers OU. To this scenario, please read Device Management and Installation Step-by-Step Guide.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Just wondering that this setting is available in User configuration too: "all removable storage classes: deny all access"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772540(v=ws.10).aspx

We could use security filtering then to select which users/groups it would apply to.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:24 AM