none
Using DFS to Migrate Files from Server 2003 R2 to an EMC SAN

Question

• Hi Everyone,

My file server (running Windows Server 2003R2) is running out of disk space, and we have an EMC Unified Storage appliance installed, connected to the server as a SAN. We want to migrate all of the user generated files from the server to the volumes set up on the storage appliance. The only issue, is we do 24/7 operations, and do not have the downtime available to move everything using robocopy, etc...

I saw DFS was already installed on the server, but no configurations were setup yet. Would I be able to migrate data on the server to the SAN using DFS replication? If so, how would I go about it?

More Info:
    The SAN controller is connected directly to the server using CAT6 cable, no switches/bridges/hubs in between the connection. It appears as local disks on the server itself in Logical Disk Manager.
    The amount of data needed to be moved is around 3Tb.

DISCLAIMER:
    I am new to the server/storage world, as I only have a few years experience, but I am able to understand and catch on quickly.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 1:49 AM

All replies

• Use robocopy to do a migration preserving all rights and so on. See:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2008/07/31/robocopy-mir-switch-mirroring-file-permissions.aspx

DFS is not designed doing what you're intended to do.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Would I still be able to run robocopy while users are accessing the file system? I read that robocopy does not copy openned files; is there a way to implement it so it will come back to openned files when they are closed? Also, it will take days to migrate the files over; would you recommend setting up a job that runs robocopy to copy smaller chunks of the file system over at certain times of the day, and then when everything is moved over to have it run again only copying new and modified files? The goal is to make this migration happen with little to no downtime.

For my "seeding" (I'm assuming this means to perform an initial migration of everything onto the destination), my goal is to mirror my entire source on my destination including all attributes, ACLs, permissions, etc... Would this code work for my goal?

robocopy <source> <destination> /e /zb /copyall /mir /secfix /r:1 /w:10 /v /log+:<logFile>

For the last phase, I want to copy all files that are modified or newly created since the "seeding." Essentially, my goal is to perform an incremental migration of everything each day after the seeding until I get the go-ahead to stop sharing the source and start sharing the destination. Would this code work for my goal?

robocopy <source> <destination> /e /copyall /mir /secfix /m /it /r:1 /w:10 /zb /log+:<logFile>

Thank you for the quick response, by the way!

-Tim

• Edited by timmc9104 Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:19 PM
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:53 PM