none
Web pages load slowly and partially. Requires frequent refreshes to load full page.

Question

• Just recently installed Server 2008r2 to test it out on my main PC.  I have a small LAN of three desktops and two laptops.  I have DSL, so I have a DSL modem that connects to my ZyXEL NBG4615 wireless router (192.168.254.254).  The DSL modem is in pass-through mode (DHCP disabled), and the ZyXEL router has the DHCP disabled.

The server (192.168.254.150) is configured using Active Directory, DHCP server and as a DNS server (also 192.168.254.150).  The issue appears to be with my DNS server.

After installing and setting up the server I noticed my internet had drastically slowed down on all of my computers (W7).  The pages will load, but it usually takes two or three refreshes and sometimes only half of the page’s details will load.  If I continue to refresh, it will eventually load the entire page.  My internet connection is not the issue, it has something to do with the way I have the DNS server configured on the server.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what it could be.

I have found that if I use the DNS server IP along with a public DNS (4.2.2.2), I have no issues and I can still manage my network.  Though I would like to remove the public DNS and rely only on the DNS server.

I just noticed under Root Hints\Forwarders that 192.168.254.254 is unable to resolve.  So I just added 4.2.2.2 and will test it out.  Being a student, I am not currently familiar with all of the DNS settings.  I am looking forward to finding the root cause of this issue.

Any suggestions?

Mike

• Edited by Modify Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hi. In your DNS set manually one to your ISP's one. (or use google'own DNS; 8.8.8.8)

I don't think it's your DNS... A DNS query work before the page open, and it got cached afterhand. So a DNS problem would prevent the site to open at all, not slowly, as when it try to open it it's already connecting to the IP resolved by the DNS.

Can you see the modem usage by calling your ISP ?

Regards, Philippe

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi. In your DNS set manually one to your ISP's one. (or use google'own DNS; 8.8.8.8)

I don't think it's your DNS... A DNS query work before the page open, and it got cached afterhand. So a DNS problem would prevent the site to open at all, not slowly, as when it try to open it it's already connecting to the IP resolved by the DNS.

Regards, Philippe

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:14 AM

Regards, Philippe

Apparently changing the Root Hints\Forwarders from 192.168.254.254, which was unable to resolve, to a open DNS such as 4.2.2.2 worked, and now all my webpages load quickly and entirely.

Am I not suppose to use my router IP address for my DNS?  I figured if I used the router (192.168.254.254), it would resolve the DNS as it did before installing Server 2008.  So basically I needed to set the server's DNS server to the remote DNS addresses that my ISP provides and not depend on the router, which handled the task before?  It makes sense, but I still don't understand why it didn't resolve the router (192.168.254.254). I have the same DNS IPs in the router as I do now in the DNS server.

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:11 PM