none
DFS Replication to make server pull out the file from the replicated storage.

Question

• Hi,

I am new as a server administrator. I would to ask for help. This my scenario:

We have Branch Server and TS in Main office. We have GPO for folder redirection per Branch server where in Users "My Documents" will be redirected to their corresponding Branch server. Then we have TS where branch user connects remotely to do their jobs. Problem comes in when User access TS (Main Office) and open their file (My Documents) TS (Main Office) pull out the content of their My Documents back to their respective Branch Server making the data processing like saving or opening file very slow.

My question is, since I am planning to set-up DFS replication between Branch Server and Main Office server (like central data storage), how will I make my TS to pull out the data directly to our Main Office Server rather than going back to Branch office server to pull out the data.

Hoping for your help guys. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the configuration is a little problem.

From your last reply, you mentioned that there are 2 share folders \\branch-server\User\%username%\My Documents and \\Main-server-storage\User\%username%\My Documents. So I think your configuraiton is that you have 2 group policies, which 1 for users in siteA (Branch Office) and the other for users in siteB (Main Office). That's why you got the issue because with using the same user account, it will always be pointed to the same share folder regardless of with site it is actually in.

If this is correct, try to create a DFS namespace such as \\domain.com\root\user, with 2 folder targets \\branch-server\User and \\Main-server-storage\User.

In group policy settings, replace both of your previous pathes to \\domain.com\root\user\%username%.

DFS will help check which site a user is actually in and pick up the correct site.

Just have a try and let us know if it will work.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hiya, 

You could detect which location the user is logging in to and point to the corresponding "local" DFS share for their My Documents in a login script.  Some Powershell that would query nearest logon server could probably do the trick. (presuming your running local DC's) - Else you need to check for something else. Name of server etc.

That way, even when the user would travel to a different site, it would point to local DFS share, giving optimal performance. 

This would require that all shares was replicated across all sites, this gives great redundancy, however might place some load on the network. DFS should handle this nicely, but a user placing af 2GB file in the My Documents, might not be healthy for the network :)

Not sure why DFS would give you central data storage tho? - as in the nature of DFS, it replicates all files to all servers.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi Jasper,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I use DFS to replicate the storage of Branch Users My Documents (i.e. \\branch-server\User\%username%\My Documents -> "Folder redirection via GPO") into our Main office storage (i.e. \\Main-server-storage\User\"replicated folder from Branch").

I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the configuration is a little problem.

From your last reply, you mentioned that there are 2 share folders \\branch-server\User\%username%\My Documents and \\Main-server-storage\User\%username%\My Documents. So I think your configuraiton is that you have 2 group policies, which 1 for users in siteA (Branch Office) and the other for users in siteB (Main Office). That's why you got the issue because with using the same user account, it will always be pointed to the same share folder regardless of with site it is actually in.

If this is correct, try to create a DFS namespace such as \\domain.com\root\user, with 2 folder targets \\branch-server\User and \\Main-server-storage\User.

In group policy settings, replace both of your previous pathes to \\domain.com\root\user\%username%.

DFS will help check which site a user is actually in and pick up the correct site.

Just have a try and let us know if it will work.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Thank you for the shed of light Shaon. I will try it and post here the result.

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:06 AM