none
How to create a VHD on a different domain?

Question

• Hi,

I need to create a new VHD on a windows server in a different domain. I am using Disk Management mmc on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  I enter the UNC folder location using the fqdn of the external server (e.g.: \\server.domain.com\vhdshare) and specify the size (e.g.: 20000 MB), and when I click on OK I get the following error triggered by Virtual Disk Manager:

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I am never prompted for a user name and password.  Any suggestions?

Also, I need this VHD to be persistent and available at all times (even after I log off from the server).

I appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

• Create a trust between two domains and check for the difference.
    • Or else add VHD share server name in hostfile (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hostfile) of destination server (from where you accessing this share)

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hi Ravikumar,

thank you for your post.  Unfortunately, I cannot establish a trust between the domain since the department will not allow it.  I did add the IP and hostname to the host file but that did not work either; it still says "Logon failure: unknown user name or password".   As a alternate, I opened a command prompt and typed the following:

net use /persistent:yes \\server.domain.com\share

After I authenticated successfully with a remote computer account and password, I went back to Disk Management and was able to create a VHD by entering the location of the new vhd file (e.g.: \\server.domain.com\share\mydisk.vhd).  Subsequently, I was able to establish a simple volume, format the disk, and assign a drive letter .  Unfortunately, after restarting the server, the VHD drive letter disappeared and the network connection to the shared folder was no longer present (even though I made it persistent) :(

Any suggestions on how to keep the drive from disappearing after restarting the machine?

Many thanks!

-sul

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:07 PM
  • From the description, you will need to authenticate before get the folder connected. So test with "net use /persistent:yes \\server.domain.com\share /user:<username> <password> to see if it could help. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Shaon, thanks for the post. Doing this has exactly the same behavior as before; it does not keep the connection persistent after reboot. Suggestions? Thx! -s
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:51 PM