none
Accessing a 2008 server without VPN Tunnel

Question

• I hope this is the right Forum....Ok Here is my situation and I'm not sure there is a simple answer, (Tho it would be nice)

My Employer runs Server 2008 in the office. HOWEVER His company shares internet access with another company in the building, and we are stuck behind their firewalls and barriers. Not sure why it was set up like this, however, as a result I am unable to access the server remotely. The other company has been saying they would have their Network guy put in a VPN tunnel now for the past three years and needless to say nothing has or ever will come of that at this point. 

Now my employer wants to be able to access Exchange, and remote into the server and so on. Aside from third party programs such as Logmein and so forth. (Which do work BTW) Is there another way I can set up a remote session to the server via HTTPS? Logmein may work but I need something I can set up exchange with. 

Mind you the other company is unwilling to give us any info regarding their Network setup, so setting up the tunnel myself is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

• Honestly its more about having exchange access for Employees. Otherwise LogMeIn world be perfect. I got it working interoffice but due to the odd network setup I cant access it from the outside. 

The Server is a Dell Poweredge 

Running: Server 2008 SR2

I  assume that you want some employees to login directly to the server.

RDC should be good enough.

Or if you want it a slightly complicated, you can install and configure iDRAC on your Dell Poweredge (this setup will incur some cost)

But RDC is absolutely free, you just need to configure of course. 

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Can you elaborate “having exchange access for Employees”?

If you want the employees to be able to manage the server, I think RDC should fulfill the goal.

If you want the employees to be able to log onto the Exchange server, you should have port forwarding on NAT device (I suppose all your network behind NAT). In addition, traffic to Exchange server should be allowed on firewall.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:35 AM

All replies

• If just want to connect to the server and able to login remotely, how about RDC is it an option?

What servers are you using HP, Dell or what?

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Honestly its more about having exchange access for Employees. Otherwise LogMeIn world be perfect. I got it working interoffice but due to the odd network setup I cant access it from the outside. 

• Edited by Rhaseley Friday, January 24, 2014 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Can you elaborate “having exchange access for Employees”?

If you want the employees to be able to manage the server, I think RDC should fulfill the goal.

If you want the employees to be able to log onto the Exchange server, you should have port forwarding on NAT device (I suppose all your network behind NAT). In addition, traffic to Exchange server should be allowed on firewall.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:35 AM

I  assume that you want some employees to login directly to the server.

RDC should be good enough.

Or if you want it a slightly complicated, you can install and configure iDRAC on your Dell Poweredge (this setup will incur some cost)

But RDC is absolutely free, you just need to configure of course. 

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:03 AM