none
Touch Screen Driver in WinPE

Question

• Hi guys,

I am building a WinPe image for slate type device (no keyboard).  The purpose this image is so that user can boot from USB stick to access recovery file without need to use usb mouse/keyboard to interact. (thus, making the recovery process less troublesome for both user and support staff)   However, I am running into the problem of locating a touch screen driver to add to WinPe.  The manufacturer never provided a touch screen driver and the touchscreen (and stylus) are automatically set up at the end of standard Windows 7 installation. 

My question is, how can I locate this driver so that I can add to the WinPE?

Has anyone done something similar before?  I am not looking to do anything fancy with the touch screen driver.  As long as it allows touch to act like mouse point, that will do it.

M.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I got it to work on my WinPE image for the HP elitepad, so I am convinced that it is possible.

I don't think the WinPE 4.0 image has the touch drivers per default, so try inject the Win 8 drivers for the touch into your WinPE image.

best of luck,

Per

Friday, November 01, 2013 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

Try and see if you can get the driver out from a living OS with tools like drvbckp from http://www.deployblog.se/

and then import it to PE.

Thats life
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:39 AM
  • I think you must start the TabletInputService service to enable touch functionnality. I don't know if it's available in Winpe?
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I have created many builds for tablet devices and have yet to manage to get the touch screen to work during winpe stage, despite loading in all the required drivers! I suspect it requires the Windows tablet service to be running before the drivers can be used.
    MCITP Windows 7 Enterprise Administrator
    Friday, December 09, 2011 11:57 AM
  • I can confirm it is not working in WinPE 3.0 but WinPE 4.0 (Assessment and Deployment Kit) it is working fine.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Michael, with what Touch device did you successfully test touch support in WinPE 4.0?

Did you only add drivers for the specific touch device, or also some generic taken from Windows 8?
    Did you need to do anything besides drivers, to use WinPE 4.0 with touch?

Thanks

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Using WinPE 4 touch works on Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T and Panasonic FZ-G1.

It's not working on the Dell Latitude 10, I haven't looked into the reason but it's on my to do list.

Friday, March 08, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Not working on Lenovo Tablet 2 either.

Added the mxtBootBridge.inf driver to the Boot Image, but no luck.

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

Friday, March 08, 2013 4:58 PM
  • I've found that I can get the touch screen and keyboard working on devices when booting to x64 WINPE but not x86.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Michael, with what Touch device did you successfully test touch support in WinPE 4.0?

Did you only add drivers for the specific touch device, or also some generic taken from Windows 8?

Thanks

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

I cannot remember exactly what I did. It was a few months ago. But basicly I used the MDT 2012 u1, Assessment and Deployment Kit, and Windows 8. From there it worked out of the box. I'm using a samsung tablet.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:01 PM

Thanks

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

HI, I can also confirm that it works on the HP Elitepad 900 G1. All you need is to add the chipset drivers (found in the drivers pack for the elitepad on HP.com) to the WinPE 4.0 base image
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Hi, we're trying to get our winpe 4 boot image to work with touch on our ElitePad 900 devices too, and we've added all the system drivers from the SCCM pack that HP provide (the one from july 2013) but it's not helped get touch working. Did you do anything else other than drivers? Which extra components did you need to add to the boot image? I'm wondering if we're missing some...

Can you screen shot your list of drivers from SCCM that are in your boot image so we can copy what you did? Pretty desperate here, building these blasted tablets and needing to have 3 USB devices plugged in at the beginning just to kick off a build is seriously annoying. Can't wait till we get approval to dump HP and switch to Lenovo, the Tablet2 is so much nicer!

Many thanks,

Nick Clark
    University of the West of England

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi Nick!

I didn't use SCCM, but just the DISM tool for the boot image. but the drivers that I think you are missing are the chipset drivers.

I am not sure which is the one you used, but I used two of them first the WINPE drivers pack, but also the Chipset drivers. the chipset drivers is where you'll find the touch, so add them seperately.

if you extract the "HP ElitePad 900 Windows 8x86 Driver Pack (International), sp62876", inside is another softpaq (sp62727.exe). The default location is  C:\swsetup\SP62876\elitepad_win8_x86_1.02\x86_win8\Driver - Firmware and Chipset\hp

Extract that one (sp62727.exe) and in there you'll find the drivers (C:\swsetup\SP62727\Package\Drivers). These are the ones for the chipset.  <-- It might be this step you didnt do?

Best regards,

Per

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Thank you Per for your detailed reply. It is greatly appreciated though I'm sorry to say we had done all that, so I'm highly confused as to why it didn't work for us!

Failing all this we've now had to switch to using the zero-touch install method (irony intended).

Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:03 PM

• Just to make sure, everything else but the touch functionality works?

if so, try the following, copy your boot image to another location and do the following:

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:"<source directory path>\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"<destination mountdirectory>"

Dism /Add-Driver /Image:"<destination mountdirectory>" /Driver:" C:\swsetup\sp60858\hp_dt_nb_wks_1.00\x86_winpe" /recurse /forceunsigned

Dism /Add-Driver /Image:"<destination mountdirectory>" /Driver:" C:\swsetup\SP62727\Package\Drivers " /recurse /forceunsigned

Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:"destination mountdirectory>" /commit

I made the assumption the driver packages are eextracte4d to their original location (C:\swsetup\<softpaqname>) 

BR,

Per

• Edited by PerAhlgren Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by PerAhlgren Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:51 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:13 PM
  • I am trying to get the touchscreen working on an Lenovo M90z. I am running PE 4.0 64bit. No luck here. Lenovo does not provide a driver but I know touch works when you install the full version (non PE) Win 7 64bit without installing any additional drivers.

This also makes me think it is a limitation in PE itself. 

Sucks honestly since Windows 8 (PE 4.0) was supposed to handle touch so well. I guess not in PE.

Friday, November 01, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I got it to work on my WinPE image for the HP elitepad, so I am convinced that it is possible.

I don't think the WinPE 4.0 image has the touch drivers per default, so try inject the Win 8 drivers for the touch into your WinPE image.

best of luck,

Per

Friday, November 01, 2013 3:08 PM