none
Terminal services will stop working because this computer is past it's Grace period

Question

• Hi folks-

I have an old windows server 2008 terminal services farm of 2 servers which is having this issue.  I have a new farm of 2008 r2 std which is not having the same issue.  I inherited the old farm.  This started yesterday when one of the old servers started to get this message when logging in as an administrator:

'Cannot find a valid terminal services license server. Terminal services will stop working because this computer is past it's Grace period and has not connected to a valid terminal services license server. Click this message to launch the terminal services configuration tool to specify a valid license server.'

So I trace this back to the RDP license server which turns out to be <shiver> a domain controller.  It seems that a supporting role service for RDP licensing role was removed or missing somehow.  So I removed it from the domain controller and moved it to another new member server.  It transferred successfully and the licensing diagnosis on the new RDP license server 'did not identify any licensing problems for the remote desktop session host server' which is great.  I pointed both servers in my new farm and both servers in my old farm to the new RDP licensing server and the new farm seems just fine, but the old farm still gets this message.

I'm still migrating users over from old farm to new and don't want anyone to suffer login problems on either farm as we complete the transition.  The problem definately seems to be with the old farm, but it says we are past our grace period.  Any suggestions to avoid problems in the old farm while migrating?  I'm not seeing any event log errors regarding the RDP licensing on either server in the old farm.  Thanks.

• Edited by capitan12 Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:20 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Thanks for your Post in Windows Server Forum.

The error which you faced can be take occur due to different reason.
    -  If temporary License Expired.
    -  It can also occurs due to incorrectly perform security check.
    -  If RDSH Server cannot communicate with RD License Server.
    -  If there is any problem with RD licensing mode.

In reference to your issue, there is Microsoft Hotfix (KB 2028637) available, kindly download and install.

Review Topic “Events: Remote Desktop Services Client Access License Availability” in below link, for more information on the issue.
    http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-158046

Hope This Helps!
    Thanks.
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thanks for your Post in Windows Server Forum.

The error which you faced can be take occur due to different reason.
    -  If temporary License Expired.
    -  It can also occurs due to incorrectly perform security check.
    -  If RDSH Server cannot communicate with RD License Server.
    -  If there is any problem with RD licensing mode.

In reference to your issue, there is Microsoft Hotfix (KB 2028637) available, kindly download and install.

Review Topic “Events: Remote Desktop Services Client Access License Availability” in below link, for more information on the issue.
    http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-158046

Hope This Helps!
    Thanks.
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

How is the issue going on? If you need any other assistance, please let us know.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:53 AM