none
WSUS and SBS Console Crashes - REINSTALL CONSEQUENCES

Question

• Hello Eveyone,

I dont know exactly what I did, but WSUS and SBS Console Crash.

When I start WSUS and click on UPDATES, under overview it says loading...then after about 5 min I get an "Error: Connection Error" and the whole reset node message.

Under SBS Console, I go to the Security/Updates page, it queries, and after a few minuts that crashes too..

I have tried many fixes, and I am at a complete halt without knowing further what to do.

If i Unistall WSUS (with intention to reinstall WSUS from scratch and new database), and select to remove all three options

-WSUS 3.0 SP2 Database
    -Log Files
    -Downloaded Update File

What else will be affected on My SBS2008 Server? Will this take down my Remote Web Workplace, and OWA etc? or does it have nothing to do with those areas?

I read horrifying reports that the SBS Console stops working altogether when tampering with Uninstalling/reinstalling WSUS, this is something i do not want to have, i use the Console quite often...(adding user, pop connector etc)

Please some insight..

btw, I have tried repairing the SBS Console...removing orphaned objects etc... 

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks Lawrence!! Sorry about that.

I will go over and post that....However an update to the ones having similar issues that may help:

I actually JUST got it working again.

Thankfully I perfrom daily Windows Backups.

I went to SQL Server Management express, I stopped the SQL Server instance that SUSDB is under
    (in my case \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query Right Clicked and Stop)

I renamed SUSDB along with its log file, located in "C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles"

Extracted from Windows Backup the older(by a week, just before I messed with it) the SUSDB and Log File...copy/pasted it in it original location "C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles"

Restarted the SQL Instance that i stopped earlier (\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query  Right clicked and Start)

I ran services.msc and restarted SQL Server...

and everything is running smoothly again...Connecting, Syncing, Updating and pushing updates as it should.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by xtos Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:37 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 7:51 PM

All replies

• ...I have been messing with it all weekend, and still cant get it to work.

Other than reinstalling WSUS, if I were to restore WSUS from a windows backup/(or month old ACRONIS backup), would that accomplish anything? and if so, what exactly from the backup do i need to restore?

anyone please?

Thanks 

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:08 PM
  • ...I have been messing with it all weekend, and still cant get it to work.

Other than reinstalling WSUS, if I were to restore WSUS from a windows backup/(or month old ACRONIS backup), would that accomplish anything? and if so, what exactly from the backup do i need to restore?

anyone please?

Thanks 

This is really a conversation for the SBS Forum. WSUS on SBS is an entirely different animal than WSUS on plain old Windows Server. Repairing or restoring WSUS is not as simple as it might seem, because there are other components, services, and configurations that have interdepedencies on IIS and WID.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Thanks Lawrence!! Sorry about that.

I will go over and post that....However an update to the ones having similar issues that may help:

I actually JUST got it working again.

Thankfully I perfrom daily Windows Backups.

I went to SQL Server Management express, I stopped the SQL Server instance that SUSDB is under
    (in my case \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query Right Clicked and Stop)

I renamed SUSDB along with its log file, located in "C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles"

Extracted from Windows Backup the older(by a week, just before I messed with it) the SUSDB and Log File...copy/pasted it in it original location "C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles"

Restarted the SQL Instance that i stopped earlier (\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query  Right clicked and Start)

and everything is running smoothly again...Connecting, Syncing, Updating and pushing updates as it should.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by xtos Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:37 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Extracted from Windows Backup the older(by a week, just before I messed with it) the SUSDB and Log File...copy/pasted it in it original location "C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles"

Excellent.

So now, the only remaining question is: What happened to break the server? :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:06 PM