none
WINDOWS INSTALLER EVERYTIME I LAUNCH A OFFICE 2007 APPLICATION

Question

• Hi,

Can any one help - this is driving me nuts.

I've just got myself a new PC and have installed Office 2007 onto it.  Now everytime I launch a Off2007 application I get windows installer and wait while windows configures MS Office.

I've tried uninstalling (& reboot) nd reinstalling to no avail.  I've downloaded & installed all updates, ran dignostics etc to no avail.

Searching the net has not yet found me a resolution, so this is the last chance before I bite the bullet and reinstall Vista (I've just spent 3 days transfering files from my old XP PC which work fine).

Thx
    Jon
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• try this, first turn off User Account Control (UAC)

launch some office app. then reboot and launch it again, see if it changes.
    If that doesn't fix it. try right clicking WORD or something and run as administrator. then do a reboot and try run it normally.

I had a Outlook addon that did that and that fixed it for me.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Hi.

It seems to be an issue with the windows installer if uninstall and reinstallation of office is of no avail..
    Check if it happens same with all office applications and also non-office programs like messenger to figure out if it is an issue with office itself.

*If it is happening with non-office programs as well, then you will have to upgrade windows installer to a latest version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4 is the link to download and install windows installer 4.5.
    Select the appropriate download based on your processor.

*If it is only with office applications:
    Repair office through programs and features and check if that helps.

The message"wait while windows configures MS Office" may appear if any one (or all) of the following DWORD values in the registry is missing from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\LanguageResources key:
    UILanguage
    HelpLanguage
    InstallLanguage

To resolve this problem, use each of the following methods in the order they are listed, until you resolve the problem. After you resolve the problem, do not use the remaining methods.

Method 1: Use the Language Version Tool
    1. In your Web browser, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm#orktools (http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm#orktools)
      Save the Orktools.exe program to your desktop when prompted.
    2. Install Orktools.exe by double-clicking it on your desktop.
    3. Click I accept the terms of the License Agreement, and then click Next.
    4. Specify the path for the installation location, and then click Next.
    5. Under the Tools feature, click each of the sub features, except for the Office Language Version sub feature. Change the installation state to Not Available. Leave the Office Language Version sub feature set to the default Run from My Computer installation state.
    6. Click Install Now.
    7. When the installation is finished, point to Programs on the Start menu, point to Microsoft Office Tools, point to Microsoft Office 2007 Resource Kit Tools, and then click Language Version.
    8. Select the language for your version of Office in the Use defaults for list. For example, if you have a U.S. version of Office, click English.
    9. Click OK.

Method 2: Modify the Registry

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type Regedit and then click OK.
    3. Locate and select the following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common
    4. Select the UserData DWORD value for the above key.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Rename.
    6. Rename the UserData DWORD value to UserDataOld.
    7. Find the following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common
    8. Find the following value: OSAShortcut. If it does not exist, create it. On the Edit menu, click New and then click Dword. Name the value OSAShortcut, and then set the value to 1.
    9. On the Registry menu, click Exit.
    10. Start any Office program.NOTE: The same Windows Installer dialog boxes appear one more time.
    11. When you are prompted, type your name and initials in the User Name dialog box, and then click OK.

Hope this helps..

Friday, May 29, 2009 11:59 PM