none
inline upgrade from server 2012 to server 2012r2

Question

• just wanted to see peoples experience for upgrading server 2012 to server 2012r2 on an inline upgrade?  is this ok to do or a reimage is best?

thanks

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• The answer is not an easy yes or no.  In general, Microsoft R2 releases are designed to be incremental upgrades meant to be done in place.  And that generally works fine.  But, if you have a 2012 machine on which you have done many product/feature/role installs/deinstalls and other testing on, it makes sense to make a clean start of it.  If you have lots of third party applications on a 2012 install, it might be much easier to do a clean install because trying to get the information on how each third party handles the upgrade can be taxing, particularly trying to understand the interactions of the third party applications during an upgrade.  It might be a lot easier to get a support statement from each third party vendor about support on 2012 R2, than getting a support statement on the upgrade from 2012 to 2012 R2.

Bottom line is that if you have a 'clean' 2012 installation with Microsoft products, it is fairly straightforward.  If you have a 'messy' installation, it most likely makes more sense to perform a clean installation.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi iworkhere,

I have a Windows Server 2012 DC and a Windows 2012 member server in my lab environment. I have upgraded them to Windows Server 2012 R2 with no issue. After upgrading, you will have a Windows.old folder under C:\ and as there is no disk cleanup tool in Windows Server versions without the Desktop Experience feature, you may have to delete it manually if needed.

In addition, if no data needs to be kept in Windows Server 2012, you can choose either a clean installation or a upgrading. Personally, I prefer the clean installation.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:54 PM

All replies

• sorry what is inline upgrade ?
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:15 PM
  • meaning have the server 2012 OS installed and doing an upgrade on top of it to go to 2012r2 without doing a reinstall/reimage
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:24 PM
  • yes you can upgrade from

windows server 2012 datacenter to windows server 2012 R2 Datacenter

windows server 2012 Standard to windows server 2012 R2 Standard or Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

for more info plz visit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303416.aspx

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to babarmunir, if you already have certain roles installed on Windows Server 2012, additional operations might be required for upgrading. You can search related topics in TechNet or post questions in our forum for help.

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:03 AM
  • im not asking if its possible as i know it is.  i want to know peoples experiences and if people recommend to reimage or an inline upgrade is fine.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 11:44 PM
  • The answer is not an easy yes or no.  In general, Microsoft R2 releases are designed to be incremental upgrades meant to be done in place.  And that generally works fine.  But, if you have a 2012 machine on which you have done many product/feature/role installs/deinstalls and other testing on, it makes sense to make a clean start of it.  If you have lots of third party applications on a 2012 install, it might be much easier to do a clean install because trying to get the information on how each third party handles the upgrade can be taxing, particularly trying to understand the interactions of the third party applications during an upgrade.  It might be a lot easier to get a support statement from each third party vendor about support on 2012 R2, than getting a support statement on the upgrade from 2012 to 2012 R2.

Bottom line is that if you have a 'clean' 2012 installation with Microsoft products, it is fairly straightforward.  If you have a 'messy' installation, it most likely makes more sense to perform a clean installation.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi iworkhere,

I have a Windows Server 2012 DC and a Windows 2012 member server in my lab environment. I have upgraded them to Windows Server 2012 R2 with no issue. After upgrading, you will have a Windows.old folder under C:\ and as there is no disk cleanup tool in Windows Server versions without the Desktop Experience feature, you may have to delete it manually if needed.

In addition, if no data needs to be kept in Windows Server 2012, you can choose either a clean installation or a upgrading. Personally, I prefer the clean installation.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:54 PM