none
Problems in my network

Question

• I have a small network to maintain, consisting of about 20-25 PC's..I did some basic networking (like all PC's belong to a common home-group) and now i am able to share folders as well as 3-4 printers (not network printers). I started making home-group from the PC that i am using and started to imagine that it is the admin PC till yesterday when i clicked on my computer and noticed the left pane where network and home group PCs are shown. In the network portion it shows all the PCs that are in the network but in the home-group portion it showed 3-4 PCs with admin written with them.... Also with one of those 4 PC's i am not able to share anything....

I am very much confused to know who is the admin PC, what should i do to make my PC an admin PC...and what are the benefits if my PC becomes an Admin PC....

I am using windows 7 enterprise..

Please throw some light on it.

Regards

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to verify whether any error message or code received when trying to share the folder?

Do you turn on the network discovery, File and Printer sharing? (Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network and Sharing Center - Advanced sharing settings)

Then, ping the host by computer name. Click Start, input cmd, press Enter key, then input the command: ping computername

What's the result?

If it doesn't work, ping the computer IP address instead of the name, what's the result?

Then check if the Server service is start on the machine you want to reach. Click Start, input services.msc in the search box, press Enter key. On the right-pane, start the Server service.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 24, 2013 6:52 AM