none
HTML Tags in PowerView reports

Question

• I'm running Office 365 using PowerView, MS Project Professional and MS Project Server for a report application.  However, when I bring in free text fields created in MS Project Server into my PowerView and Excel tables, it brings along the HTML tags with it.  Does anyone know of a simple out of the box method to remove the tags?

<p>Here is where the project is:</p><p>-Comment 1</p><p>-Comment 2</p><p>-Comment 3</p>

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:20 PM

Answers

• Not sure is there is an out-of-box support for this. But I assume that you would first paste the fields inside Excel before using Power View.  In that case, Excel's find and replace tool should do the trick right?  Does this work for your case?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Hi Ed-H,

Good feature request for PV to process HTML tags. I will add it to the long backlog.

As a work around, it could be ugly, is to use Power Pivot Text functions like Replace or Substitute to remove the tags on those fields.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:08 PM
  • I would also recommend that you ensure your column settings are set to "Plain Text". It does take some of the fun out of what you see on the web. However, it makes for much cleaner Excel reports.

JFitch

Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure is there is an out-of-box support for this. But I assume that you would first paste the fields inside Excel before using Power View.  In that case, Excel's find and replace tool should do the trick right?  Does this work for your case?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:48 PM
  • having exact same issue, did you resolve this?
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:40 PM
  • No resolution yet.  As I'm pulling the field directly into PowerView, I don't have the luxury of very many Excel built in features as it pulls the data into PowerPivot tables.  Though I'm sure this is not the correct terminology, remember, Project Manager - Not Programmer, it just seems to use Excel as the platform to bring it into to display it, not necessarily allowing you to use many of the built in excel features.  I assume that is the trade-off for the power of the analytics of PowerPivot.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Hi Ed-H,

Good feature request for PV to process HTML tags. I will add it to the long backlog.

As a work around, it could be ugly, is to use Power Pivot Text functions like Replace or Substitute to remove the tags on those fields.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:08 PM
  • I'm having this very same issue.

I know some VBA codes that can clean up the tags but I'm not sure if this workbook will run then in the SharePoint site.

Any thoughts on this?

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:22 PM
  • I would also recommend that you ensure your column settings are set to "Plain Text". It does take some of the fun out of what you see on the web. However, it makes for much cleaner Excel reports.

JFitch

Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:17 PM