none
Power Pivot disables my ability to save in Excel.

Question

• Hi, 

After I install and open PowerPivot I loose the ability to save (and save as) in Excel.  I uninstall PowerPivot and I am able to save files.  When I reinstall PowerPivot I can save before I launch PowerPivot.  Once I launch PowerPivot I again loose the ability to save (and save as) the file.  

Any suggestions?  

-Josh

Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• The PowerPivot window is separte from the workbook itself (though they are both connected and communicate with each other).  From the PowerPivot window, there is no option to save; however, after you open the PowerPivot window you can always flip back to the Excel workbook and you can save from there

Javier Guillen
    MCTS / MCITP SQL Server 2008 BI
    http://www.msbicentral.com/Blogs/JavierGuillen.aspx
    Monday, January 03, 2011 12:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the response, but its not an issue of attempting to save through the PowerPivot window.

The problem seems to be isolated to the installation of PowerPivot.

Without PowerPivot installed the save (and save as) function in Excel 2010 works as it should

When I install PowerPivot I am able to save a file initially, but subsequent attempts to save don't work.

When I make changes and go to File=> Save (or Save As) Excel takes me back to the Home tab and does not save changes. 

This problem occurs when I launch Excel in regular and safe mode (PowerPivot add-in disabled, but installed).

Monday, January 03, 2011 2:25 PM
  • I can confirm this behavior.  I reinstalled windows thinking it would help, it did not.

However, for me, I can save just fine until I actually start using a powerpivot embedded workbook.  It still saves my documents in the backup location.  The only other Add-Ins I am using are OSIsoft add-ins.

More info:

HP ProBook 6455b

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise  V 6.1 (Build 7600)

Office 2010 x32 :: 14.0.5128.5000

PowerPivot 10.50.1747.0

• Edited by DanielSThompson Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:15 PM More information
    Monday, February 07, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I am having the same issue and have had to uninstall PowerPivot - has anyone been able to find a solution?

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Still no resolution for me.  What brand/model of machine are you using?  What version of windows and what version of office?  I am trying to find a common thread.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Still no resolution here.   I'd like to see a fix = currently the product is useless.  

Here's my info: 

Dell Optiplex 380

Windows 7 x32 Professional SP1

PowerPivot 10.50.1747.0

Josh
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:21 PM
  • I can confirm this behavior.  I reinstalled windows thinking it would help, it did not.

However, for me, I can save just fine until I actually start using a powerpivot embedded workbook.  It still saves my documents in the backup location.  The only other Add-Ins I am using are OSIsoft add-ins.

More info:

HP ProBook 6455b

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise  V 6.1 (Build 7600)

PowerPivot 10.50.1747.0

Hi. I'm the product manager for PI DataLink.

Unfortunately there are two underlying bugs in Microsoft's PowerPivot add-in that cause these interactions with other 3rd party add-ins. We have escalated to Microsoft and are awaiting a hotfix for each issue. We have reproduced the problem with a barebones generic add-in. Unfortunately for everyone, Microsoft is very slow at fixing problems. We've been on these core issues for 6+ months now.

In the meantime there are a couple workarounds. When using PowerPivot, always create a new workbook and work with Book2. This seems to alleviate the issue. You can also manually activate both PI DataLink and PowerPivot after loading Excel.

For any customers using OSIsoft products, please contact OSIsoft techsupport support@osisoft.com for the latest information. When we receive a hotfix (which may be private-only) from Microsoft we will provide it to our customers as soon as possible.

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Matt.

We're hitting this problem too.  Any update on the hotfix?

Thanks,

josh

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:15 PM
  • I recently came across this issue as well, a hotfix was provided by Microsoft last June:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2544025

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Hi I also have a problem saving my powerpivot. I wonder if this is the same issue as this thread. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Office 2010 32 bit. Here is my error message. I am new to PowerPivot. Please advice! 

Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\sgg04929\Downloads\PowerPivotTutorial\test.xlsx'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel.

Thanks for any help. 

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  To avoid losing the work I've done when save and save-as will not work, I have found that I can go to "File/Save and Send/Save to SharePoint, and this will open something that looks very similar to the save-as box, and allow me to save it whereever I like (not just to SharePoint).

However, I am having dificulty on top of this, in that while the data is preserved, I lose some of the ability to work with it (data not available in PowerPivot field list, and although it is in the Pivot Table field list, it will not let me put any new objects in the values section of the pivot table - but this seems like a separate issue).

Good luck!

Paul

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I had the same problem, but I have just created a pivot table or chart and, then, try to save again and it works.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:03 PM