none
Copying multiple files to multiple directories. Having problems

Question

• Hello, 

I've been recently messing around with orchestrator and I'm trying to create something and it just doesn't work! 

Im trying to Create a folder, copy files into it from unc path then moving those files to multiple directories and unc paths. 

Im trying to do a quick hotfix deploy runbook but Im stuck. The 1st step I do is I initialize data. I created five fields to input destination unc paths. 

Flow is 

Initialize data (unc paths, 4 total) ---> create folder --->Copy files from source to created folder ---> Move those files from created folder to published data from 1st step (initialize data) 

It works but it only uses one unc path, it ignores the other three. I have all four published data entries from initialize data in the destination. I cant get it to copy files to more then one unc path.

I have 4 inputs on initialize data

Anyone?

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you must subscribe each parameter from "Initialize Data" so you must have 4 times "Copy File" for each parameter and so on ...

I different from "Get File" Activity for example. Get File will trigger fro each result if you do not flatten it.

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply

I actually do have each parameter subscribed. On the move file activity, on destination. I go to suscribe--->published data ---> Select each parameter i input from initialize data.

It only reads from the 1st parameter, the other 3 it ignores. Not sure why. I don't understand the flattening. Can you elaborate please?

Thank you

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

you must subscribe each parameter in a new and separate "Copy File" or "Move File" activity.

"Flatten" was only for the "Get File" example. It's explained herehttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh228165.aspx:

Published Data Behavior

By default, Published Data is passed as multiple individual outputs. You can alternatively specify that all values be flattened into a single comma-delimited value (.csv) file.

When you enable the Flatten feature, you also choose a multi-value formatting option.

noteNote
    The Flatten feature does not flatten data across multiple instances of the same activity. It only flattens multiple values returned from a single instance of the activity.

Regards,

Stefan

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Thanks for the advice

I tried to do multiple copy activities and link each parameter to a separate copy. When i tried this, Orchestrator says "This runbook contains multiple starting activities"  It won't let the run book even run. Am i doing something wrong? I tried using two move activities as a work around and I get the same error about having multiple starting activities.

Thank you so much for the reply

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:57 PM
  • You must link each Activity to the next. Only "Initialize Data" should be the Activity with no link to in your example.

• Marked as answer by Bluebpy Monday, November 04, 2013 8:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bluebpy Monday, November 04, 2013 8:51 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 8:02 PM
  • I didn't know... Sigh.... It works great now. Thank you so much!
    Monday, November 04, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Actually running into a small problem

The copies are working but I have 4 copy activities one after another. there are 6 files im trying to move on this test

once it gets past the 1st copy activity the 2nd copy activity goes but it copies more then 6 files, it does it around 15 times. then the 3rd... stopped counting at 41.... 

Im not sure why it keeps copying more then the 6 files. I checked the directories and published data and they are in their own folders

Monday, November 04, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Ok, the "flatten" comes faster than expected:-) For each result the Activity has the following Activity will be triggered.

So, make a link from "Initialize Data" Activity to each "Copy Activity". Let them run parallel not in order.

Monday, November 04, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Hey

I don't understand what you mean

this is my runbook as it stands. I explain how the contents of each activity are. It wont let me upload an image... sigh

I don't understand. I have initialize data as my 1st activity then that is linked to create folder which is my 2nd activity. So close to getting this to work.... ahhh

the files seem to copy more and more as each copy activity down the workflow. thanks again for the replies

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:11 PM
  • If you Flatten (Properties / Run Behavior) each "Copy" Activity?

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:22 PM
  • If you Flatten (Properties / Run Behavior) each "Copy" Activity?

yeah i added in a line break flatten and it did the trick. the email confirmation seems to go on endlessly now. but that's not a huge deal. I'll figure that out. ty so much

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:45 PM