none
MDT 2010 / WinPE Drivers for Marvell Yukon 88E8057

Question

• Hello,

I have about a dozen Sony Vaios that use the Marvell Yukon 88E8057 controller for their NIC. I've downloaded the drivers (both 64-bit and 32-bit) from Marvell and imported them into my Out of Box Drivers in my production build, and then updated the Deployment Share, however, everytime I boot into WinPE to do the deployment I get "The following network device did not have a driver installed" and then a device ID, which I've confirmed is in the INF files for the drivers I'm importing. Am I missing a step here or something?

Thanks a lot for your help,

-Jeff

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

• Can you verify that you are getting an IP from WinPE (Hit F8)?  If so, have you tried to hit the "Retry" from the error that appears when attempting to connect to the Deployment Share? If it works, I would add a delay in your Unattend.xml for WinPE.  The adapter or your network may take a little longer than WinPE expects to "get going".  You can update this file from the following location and perform an update on your deployment share:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Unattend_PE_x64.xml"

or

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Unattend_PE_x86.xml"

If nothing works, let me know, I think I have some older Yukon adapters that Ive gotten to work with no issues.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:08 PM
  • I'm not getting an IP because it isn't installing a driver for the NIC. Does Out of Box add them to both the boot image and the install image?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:00 PM
  • It will attempt to install all drivers from your OoB by default, I usually create a new selection profile and specify just the OoB folders with the NIC and SATA drivers I need, then specify the custom Selection Profile from "Windows PE x86/x64 Components" tab.  Once specified, go ahead and update your deployment share to update your boot images.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:12 PM
  • You have mentioned updating the DeploymentShare but have you then updated the boot images in WDS? The boot image won't contain any changes until the old one has been replaced by the new one.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:55 AM
  • You have mentioned updating the DeploymentShare but have you then updated the boot images in WDS? The boot image won't contain any changes until the old one has been replaced by the new one.

Maybe this is the step I'm missing - I had assumed that updating the share would also update the boot image. How do I update the boot image itself? Time to look around a bit more I guess.

Eureka! Thanks for the help, I completely forgot this step was a manual one - I'm so used to MDT holding my hand, haha. Thanks a lot.

• Edited by Goatbert Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:36 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:30 PM
  • No it only updates the file in DeploymentShare\Boot.

You need to go into WDS->Server->Boot Images and Replace the image in there. Browse to DeploymentShare\Boot and select LiteTouch.wim file.

This is assuming your using PXE. If your using another boot method you need to ensure that has the latest LiteTouch.wim

Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Once you have imported drivers into the workbench, you'll need to update teh deployment share will which update boot images if required.  That is dependent upon the selection profile you have configured for the drivers for WinPE, there are 2 tabs, the x64 and x86, typically it's recommended to have a WinPE x64 and WinPE x86 folder/selection profile and assing your boot images to use that, so you can control what drivers are being injected into your boot images.

If you have any issues, you can use the "force rebuild" checkbox on the update deployment share wizard to completely rebuild the images instead of just updating them.

If you are using WDS, then you need to import the newly updated wim in order to start using that one.  I would recommend looking at this post to automate that process. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2009/09/09/automatically-update-mdt-2010-boot-images-in-wds.aspx

My blog: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/default.aspx
    Monday, January 03, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Realize this is an old post, but I am having a similar problem with Marvell Yukon 88E8057 within WinPEx64.  There appears to be a generic driver built into WinPE, but when I use the built in driver for WinPE or even within Win7x64 all I get is the APIPA 169.254 address.  If I update Win7 to the OEM driver, everything works fine.  I have included the Marvell drivers into my deployment share and updated the images, but the systems still appear to be loading the generic driver and nothing works.  Still get the APIPA 169.254 address.

Any tips on removing the generic driver or forcing WinPE to load the Marvell driver?

Thanks

Pete

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:23 PM
  • It's usually based on PNP detection and the most recent driver. So if your driver is dated older than the built-in driver i guess I could see that happening.

What's the date and version on the two drivers? 

My blog: http://www.chrisnackers.com Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/chrisnack

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Generic WinPE Driver is 2011, the Marvell Yukon driver is 2009.  Have not been able to find a more recent driver.  Based on this, I deleted teh netmyk01.inf/cat/sys files from the driverstore in my WinPE image, but the generic driver is still appearing somehow.  I guess deleting the files doesnt work in Win7/PE3. 

IPConfig /all reveals a media disconnected message and a 169.254 address.  I get the exact same problem in Win7, but the driver install fixes the problem.  If I manually copy the driver to the system and run drvload, the driver appears to load but best I can tell it is still using the generic driver and nothing works.  Strange.  I am stumped.

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Generic WinPE Driver is 2011, the Marvell Yukon driver is 2009.  Have not been able to find a more recent driver.  Based on this, I deleted teh netmyk01.inf/cat/sys files from the driverstore in my WinPE image, but the generic driver is still appearing somehow.  I guess deleting the files doesnt work in Win7/PE3. 

IPConfig /all reveals a media disconnected message and a 169.254 address.  I get the exact same problem in Win7, but the driver install fixes the problem.  If I manually copy the driver to the system and run drvload, the driver appears to load but best I can tell it is still using the generic driver and nothing works.  Strange.  I am stumped.

If you have a 169 address, the driver is installed correctly, it would be completely blank if missing the driver.  

My blog: http://www.chrisnackers.com Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/chrisnack

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:10 PM