none
MSMQ spikes disk every 30 minutes

Question

• About every 30 minutes, I get ~100% disk utilization for over a minute on win2008r2 Enterprise server.  During this time MSMQ pauses/refuses to do anything while MSMQ is writing to either the MQTrans.lg1 or MQTrans.lg2 file.  These files are about 2MB with the QMLog being 6MB.  Monitoring the msmq process, it writes hundreds of MB during this time although the file sizes never change.  

I've found a KB similar to my issue, but it only applies to win2000/2003 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897326

Anybody have any ideas?

-Michael 

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:44 PM

All replies

• Yes, the msmq service is active and processes several thousand msgs an hour.  We only have about 15 transactional private queues that are populated/processed via a web site.  So what does the server do for a living?  Serves web pages.  Consequently, we have other servers in our farm with the same hardware, same updates, same load - yet they don't spike the disk...
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:20 PM
  • It appears that there is a difference with the msmq installation.  This particular server has Active Directory integration installed, yet it is still in workgroup mode - which I determined by looking at the configuration in the registry.  Not sure why it didn't take the AD part when it was installed.  Going to re-install to see if I can get the AD Integration turned on.  I've had issues in the past with MSMQ when AD Integration isn't installed.  That doesn't explain the spike in disk writes, though.

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Now that MSMQ is running in AD integration mode, everything is back to running smoothly.  As for why the server was still running in workgroup mode, the only reason I can think is that the server was rebuilt and not removed from AD prior to installing MSMQ.  I ended up having to remove the server from the domain, deleting the server from AD, then re-add it back to the domain and re-install MSMQ with AD Integration.

I say this because I think I've been down this road before - so Hopefully this will save someone else the pain if they run across this same issue.

This solution still doesn't answer the original question of why workgroup mode spikes the disk!

• Marked as answer by mmcdaniel1 Monday, April 14, 2014 2:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mmcdaniel1 Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:44 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that the issue was solved and thanks for your good sharing.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Unfortunately, the problem has returned.  I am opening a support ticket with MS.  I didn't want anybody to think that the above actually worked out in the end.  I'll respond back to this once everything is resolved.
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, the problem has returned.  I am opening a support ticket with MS.  I didn't want anybody to think that the above actually worked out in the end.  I'll respond back to this once everything is resolved.

please update this thread with your results, ya or nay

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:00 PM