none
Update to Windows 8.1 breaks Power Query database connections

Question

• It seems that the update to Windows 8.1 broke my Power Query connections. 

I use PowerQuery to connect to a PostgreSQL database. Since the update I only get the error message 

DataSource.NotFound: PostgreSQL: Unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'Npgsql'.
    This error may have been the result of provider-specific client software being required but missing on this computer.  To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose at minimum 'Npgsql version 2.0.12': http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=282716 Details: null

As part of the Windows update it seems that the machine.config file was overwritten and it didn't contain anymore the Npgsql database driver. However just following the steps to reinstall it didn't bring the desired result. I assume something else deeper in the .net framework is changed with the update - can anyone confirm this and advise towards a solution?

Monday, October 21, 2013 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you verify whether you need to recreate some of the steps from the initial setup? There is some GAC registration you need to perform, which may have been deleted as part of the update: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/connect-to-a-postgresql-database-HA104028095.aspx

Please let us know if that works, we haven't seen any issue with this migration so far.

Thanks,
    M.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:25 AM
  • Hi Miguel, 

I could actually reinstall it again. My first impression was: this doesn't work, but I accidentally changed the machine.config for the 32bit .NET framework, while on a 64bit machine. 

So: 

An upgrade to Windows 8.1 seems to break manually added data sources. The machine.config file is "re-standardized" apparently as part of the upgrade. I had to add the NPGSQL provider again via gacutil and edit the machine.config - then it works agian.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:29 AM