none
Malformed reply to address

Question

• A user  joe.smith@mycompany.net  sends me an email. (this is their default reply to address also)

when i respond back - the reply to address is in this format

winnipeg.ca\joe.smith <winnipeg.ca\joe.smith@mycompany.net>  and of course it bounces back with NDR

The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Joe.smith@winnipeg.ca is another valid address for this user

So why does this odd reply to address come up when you reply to emails from this user?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:17 PM

Answers

• Happy to have helped.  Please feel free to mark my post as an answer or helpful as appropriate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Gdunlop99 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:36 PM

All replies

• If the sender sends you a message with a malformed address in the header, that's what's going to happen.  Look at the headers of the message, particularly the Reply To:.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply

Yes- when I look at the header of the original msg it has bad reply to addresses in it.  Just not sure why.  It was sent from a cellphone - and that seems to be the issue.  When he sends from his Outlook client on his computer the reply address is fine.

Something is misconfigured in the phone - but he is far away and I can't get physical access to the phone.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:30 PM
  • Happy to have helped.  Please feel free to mark my post as an answer or helpful as appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Gdunlop99 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:36 PM