none
can pp col headings act like freeze pane in excel

Question

• Hi.  We run 2012 enterprise.  Can co headings on my pivot table scroll as freeze pane does in regular excel?  How?
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:55 AM

Answers

• ok, this is a general excel question and independent if pivot-tables data come from PP or somewhere else...

as mentioned the ootb freezing of columns is only available imho for table- and NOT pivottable-objects in excel .

but you can achieve same for pivot-tables in excel 2010:

1. select first left cell in you pivot-table containing data (row bellow headers)
    2. Ribbon>View>Freeze Panes>Freeze panes

does this work for you? If so please mark thread as answered.

• Marked as answer by DB042189 Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:46 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:51 PM
  • close enough.  Leaves a funny looking cross hair to the left and above where the pivot table starts.  Cuts off parts of my slicers as a result after scrolling.  But I think that's all ok.

I hilighted the entire 1st data row on highest row label.  Then followed your instructions from ribbon>view...

Otherwise your approach leaves a bold black line below row label header but nothing else and that looks even funnier than the cross hair.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hi, your Situation is as follow?:

You have a powerpivot model, and a pivot-table based on this PP data, created with Excel 2013
    Now you want the Pivot-table columns to freeze if you scroll down the Excel sheet?

IMHO you can't do this because Excel has no Feature to freeze Pivot-table column, but can freeze columns of Excel table objects
    You can get PP data into a Excel table object by creating a DAX Query, see: http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/linkback-tables-in-powerpivot-for-excel-2013

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:18 AM
  • 2010 and I just want the col headings to freeze when i scroll.  Not sure if model and pp window are synonymous terms but my data is based on some data i modeled in the pp window.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:48 PM
  • ok, this is a general excel question and independent if pivot-tables data come from PP or somewhere else...

as mentioned the ootb freezing of columns is only available imho for table- and NOT pivottable-objects in excel .

but you can achieve same for pivot-tables in excel 2010:

1. select first left cell in you pivot-table containing data (row bellow headers)
    2. Ribbon>View>Freeze Panes>Freeze panes

does this work for you? If so please mark thread as answered.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:51 PM
  • close enough.  Leaves a funny looking cross hair to the left and above where the pivot table starts.  Cuts off parts of my slicers as a result after scrolling.  But I think that's all ok.

I hilighted the entire 1st data row on highest row label.  Then followed your instructions from ribbon>view...

Otherwise your approach leaves a bold black line below row label header but nothing else and that looks even funnier than the cross hair.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:45 PM