none
How can I reduce the password length in 8.1

Question

• I thought secpol did it but I can't find it.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Renee,

You can help protect your computer by customizing your password policy settings, including requiring users to change their password regularly, specifying a minimum length for passwords, and requiring passwords to meet certain complexity requirements.

Please follow the steps below to set the minimum password length:

1. Press Windows + R on the keyboard.
    2. Type secpol.msc in the search box and press Enter. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. In the Navigation pane, double-click Account Policies, and then click Password Policy.
    4. Double-click the item Minimum password length in the Policy list.
    5. Input the minimum length of the password you want to set, and then click apply and OK.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Renee Culver Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Renee Culver Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:04 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:11 AM
  • "protect my computer" from what? All the security is a crock. It just WAY slows me down.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:18 PM
  • That does not work in 8.1. I have set my minimum password length to N but the OS will not anything less than 8.

Renee

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

Is the password complexity policy enabled?

Are you on a domain or is this  a standalone machine?

You can try setting it from an elevated cmd prompt using Net accounts.

Run Net Accounts /? to see the options for setting it

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Is the password complexity policy enabled?

no

Are you on a domain or is this  a standalone machine?

standard machine

You can try setting it from an elevated cmd prompt using Net accounts.

will do

Run Net Accounts /? to see the options for setting it

Will do

Rrnee

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:26 AM
  • I've decided I am working on this problem today. On my 8.1 system, you can the minimum password length:

Yet the system will not allow me to logon with less than the original password length which was 8.

Renee

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hello,

Sounds like there is some sort of policy applied to that system.

I just changed the password on one of my systems ( clean install), started with 8 character password and went down to 5.

It allowed me to log into the machine.

But my minimum password length defaulted to 0 not to 6 , so something set that up.

Are you logging into Exchange to get email for example, it's possible EAS ( Exchange Active Sync) made a change?

Running any mobile device management software?

Using VPN software?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:32 AM
  • No. This is a standalone Lenovo laptop running Utimate 8.1. I updated it from V 8.0. I downloaded the update from MS.

I am not running VPN software. My email is from gmail. The system is linked to the internet by a verizon router. I think I setup the password length using secpol. See the response by Larry Zhang in this thread.

Renee

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:08 PM