How to update a current Windows 8 to 8.1 through Dreamspark DVD

Question

• I have installed Windows 8 Pro as a fresh about 4 months ago. I have programs installed on my PC (not apps through Store, but real programs).

I have just downloaded Windows 8.1 Pro RTM through DreamSpark and I want to update my system (as everybody else will, through the Store at October 18). I don't want to re-install all my programs. If I start setup from the DVD, I get these 3 options:

1. Keep windows settings, personal files and apps

2. Keep personal files only

3. Nothing

I do not get any option to just upgrade my current system, but to install a new fresh Windows 8.1, while keeping files and apps (but not programs!).

Is there any way to do so, or I have to wait till October 18, and to install through the Store?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:09 PM

Answers

• I have installed Windows 8 Pro as a fresh about 4 months ago. I have programs installed on my PC (not apps through Store, but real programs).

I have just downloaded Windows 8.1 Pro RTM through DreamSpark and I want to update my system (as everybody else will, through the Store at October 18). I don't want to re-install all my programs. If I start setup from the DVD, I get these 3 options:

3. Nothing

I do not get any option to just upgrade my current system, but to install a new fresh Windows 8.1, while keeping files and apps (but not programs!).

Is there any way to do so, or I have to wait till October 18, and to install through the Store?

Thanks!

Choose the first option 1. Keep settings, personal files and apps. This will install Win 8.1 and you will keep all other software and personal files as is in Win8. When all done, clean-up with "disk clean-up". Also invoke system files. This will finally delete all old win8 files. If you have a Intel SSD Raid in the system, run the "WINSAT formal" command so that the SSD's are recognised as such.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:10 PM

All replies

3. Nothing

Thanks!

Choose the first option 1. Keep settings, personal files and apps. This will install Win 8.1 and you will keep all other software and personal files as is in Win8. When all done, clean-up with "disk clean-up". Also invoke system files. This will finally delete all old win8 files. If you have a Intel SSD Raid in the system, run the "WINSAT formal" command so that the SSD's are recognised as such.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

i am unable to do the update.

It starts the update and at 53% completion it says that windows was unable to update to 8.1.

I am trying to upgrade from Windows 8 single language to windows 8.1 enterprise rtm build.

Please help

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:49 AM
  • I am pretty sure the DVD or ISO image of Windows 8.1 RTM will not function as an easy upgrade.  I've tried option '1' from the install loaded from a current Windows 8 machine and it only retained the cloud stored information and metro apps linked to my account.  It also still required me to use a valid activation key instead of simply keeping the already valid 8.0 license.  No vender specific device drivers were installed or retained from the 8.0 install.

The free version from windows update coming soon might be an easier rout if you can wait a few more weeks. 

• Edited by Remnant0 Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:07 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:03 PM