none
Unreliable Windows server 2012 rds remoteapp printing to xp win7 and win8 remote desktops outside our domain

Question

• Fighting this one for a few weeks. Google only answers for 2008r2. Microsoft search never helps, but I digress.

Turned every knob in the group policy for remote printing, made sure all o/s's patched and up to date. Even xp has all required patches.

I can print through the the Easy Print driver on some occasions to each of the above versions of windows. But then it just stops working.  At first we thought restarting the workstation reset something, then we thought restarting the server was fixing something, but now I think we are missing something critical. Maybe we are missing 2012r2 (or 2014).

Does anyone have a good experience with 2012 rds, remoteaps and printers? 

We were even hoping to connect a debit card machine to the serial/usb port of a remote destop and see it in remoteapp, but that may need a third-party solution.

Thanks,
    Gerald.

gc

Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:49 AM

Answers

• Just fyi. We have resolved this one by using a 3ft piece of 2 x 4 lumber placed suddenly and forcefully against the posterior of all concerned.

It seems the Gateway Manager offers the option of a negative selection of resources that were set in the early stages of the project and promptly forgotten. All other choices for printer access, including the client connection pop-up, showed the printer selected for use. 

I think that if we had installed each rds server function in its own vm instead of dumping all of them into one vm, the process of checking through each rds function would have been more obvious. As it was the gateway function was lost in the clutter, assumptions were made and not tested. Arguments ensued.

The result was a growing appreciation for powershell and a determination to create scripts for every single step in the rds build/maintenance processes. We will be dumping the gui as soon as we can. Hopefully finger pointing will decline as the pain of this lesson is absorbed.

Regards,

Gerald.

gc

• Marked as answer by Gerald Chudyk Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:47 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Easy print is involved with 3rd party driver and printer support.What if you try to use the conventional printing redirection?Try to confer with your printer vendor to see whether there are new drivers available for server 2012.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Hi Clarence,

I should have mentioned that we have looked at this, but there will be too many unknown consumer printers out there (~300 locations with ~3 desktops per location). The very first test trial we performed with a remote client turned up three printers. Two of them had consumer print drivers that wouldn't install on Windows Server 2012.

The Easy Print driver has been sold as the solution by Microsoft. Either this solution works or someone is overstating this products capabilities. I was hoping to find real life success/failure stories to either validate or refute our findings.

The Microsoft lab examples are laughably short on real-world information, and their documentation more often points to previous versions of the product rather than giving in-depth information for problem isolation and troubleshooting.

We have also noticed that Server Manager frequently pushes error msgs when trying to configure Remote Desktop settings from their GUI. Writing powershell scripts seems to overcome this, but does not give a high confidence level in their general product.

Regards,

Gerald.

gc

Monday, July 15, 2013 12:43 PM
  • It may be worth checking if the spooler hasn't crashed.

If you get Event 7011 in your System log you may find messages reporting a timeout of 30000 milliseconds on UMrdpservice, UxSMS etc...

This seems to cause most crashes in TS sessions and happens 30 seconds after a user logs on (hence the timeout of 30000 milliseconds).

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:56 PM
  • The logs are certainly not clean, but I have not seen spooler error messages. I have seen this message when a successful redirection occurs:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Date:          7/11/2013 10:43:32 AM
    Event ID:      823
    Task Category: Changing the default printer
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Print Spooler
    User:          CHUDYK\hsi.carol
    Computer:      rdhh.chudyk.net
    Description:
    The default printer was changed to Canon MP210 series Printer (redirected 5),winspool,TS001. See the event user data for context information.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService" Guid="{747EF6FD-E535-4D16-B510-42C90F6873A1}" />
        <EventID>823</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>49</Task>
        <Opcode>11</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000020000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-11T17:43:32.459057200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>505</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1296" ThreadID="3848" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>rdhh.chudyk.net</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-10453831-4235134038-4205666981-1143" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <ChangingDefaultPrinter xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/printing/spooler/core/events">
          <DefaultPrinterSelectedBySpooler>0</DefaultPrinterSelectedBySpooler>
          <OldDefaultPrinter>-</OldDefaultPrinter>
          <NewDefaultPrinter>Canon MP210 series Printer (redirected 5),winspool,TS001</NewDefaultPrinter>
          <Status>0x7a</Status>
          <Module>winspool.drv</Module>
        </ChangingDefaultPrinter>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

In the system log we sometimes see this:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
    Date:          7/14/2013 7:06:16 AM
    Event ID:      140
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      (8)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:\Users\mf\UserData, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume6.
    ({Device Offline}
    The printer has been taken offline.)
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs" Guid="{3FF37A1C-A68D-4D6E-8C9B-F79E8B16C482}" />
        <EventID>140</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000008</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-14T14:06:16.935141000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>14632</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="820" ThreadID="3020" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="VolumeId">C:\Users\mf\UserData</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceName">\Device\HarddiskVolume6</Data>
        <Data Name="Error">0x80000010</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

There have also been a collection of these and similar messages, which I had thought were another problem to be addressed, but may be related to this problem:

Log Name: System Source: Ntfs Date: 7/14/2013 7:06:16 AM Event ID: 137 Task Category: (2) Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: rdhh.chudyk.net Description: The default transaction resource manager on volume C:\Users\mf\UserData encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Ntfs" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49156">137</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>2</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-14T14:06:16.935141000Z" /> <EventRecordID>14631</EventRecordID> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>rdhh.chudyk.net</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data> </Data> <Data>C:\Users\mf\UserData</Data> <Binary>1C0004000200300002000000890004C000000000100000800000000000000000000000000000000010000080</Binary> </EventData> </Event>

Also these messages fill the Application log, but my reading leads me to think it is a separate issue:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WMI
    Date:          7/14/2013 8:12:43 PM
    Event ID:      5605
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    The root\cimv2\terminalservices namespace is marked with the RequiresEncryption flag. Access to this namespace might be denied if the script or application does not have the appropriate authentication level. Change the authentication level to Pkt_Privacy and run the script or application again.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1EDEEE53-0AFE-4609-B846-D8C0B2075B1F}" />
        <EventID>5605</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-15T03:12:43.064444300Z" />
        <EventRecordID>42184</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{0EF2C963-7E7B-0000-56EA-F20E7B7ECE01}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="820" ThreadID="1852" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <data_0x8000003F xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2006/windows/WMI">
          <Namespace>root\cimv2\terminalservices</Namespace>
        </data_0x8000003F>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Our disk drives for this test are all installed inside our two Dell 2900 and 2950 servers and there do not appear to be any physical disk errors reported in the log. The User Profiles are stored inside a 2012 vm as a share, so there may be delays between the RD servers and the User Profile server, but I would expect the system to handle this.

Thank you for any insight into our problem.

Regards,

Gerald.

gc

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Still fighting this one. If anyone can say they use this all the time, then I will continue digging. I would be eternally grateful if someone can point to useful troubleshooting pages at Microsoft or others. Most of them drop into 2008speak. 

Thanks,

Gerald.

gc

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Lack of reliable remote printing is going to destroy a perfectly good project. Am I so dumb that I am missing something obvious? All known group policy settings have been tried.

I guess I will rebuild the vm collection from scratch to see if something was borked through carelessness. Not looking forward to this. Really bummed about my inability to solve this problem through the log messages. What happens if we get this working now and then it borks again in production. I bet it will be real hard to explain the need to rebuild everything from scratch.

Regards,

Gerald.

gc

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Just fyi. We have resolved this one by using a 3ft piece of 2 x 4 lumber placed suddenly and forcefully against the posterior of all concerned.

It seems the Gateway Manager offers the option of a negative selection of resources that were set in the early stages of the project and promptly forgotten. All other choices for printer access, including the client connection pop-up, showed the printer selected for use. 

I think that if we had installed each rds server function in its own vm instead of dumping all of them into one vm, the process of checking through each rds function would have been more obvious. As it was the gateway function was lost in the clutter, assumptions were made and not tested. Arguments ensued.

The result was a growing appreciation for powershell and a determination to create scripts for every single step in the rds build/maintenance processes. We will be dumping the gui as soon as we can. Hopefully finger pointing will decline as the pain of this lesson is absorbed.

Regards,

Gerald.

gc

• Marked as answer by Gerald Chudyk Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:47 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:47 PM