none
MDT Wizard loads very slow on HP BL20P G4

Question

• I am just using MDT2010. I created an ISO media file which contains all drivers, o/s, TS, etc. I used this ISO to boot through ilo. WinPE loaded ok but it took a long time (20minutes) until the Wizard.hta came up. I checked bdd.log file and couldn't find any step which took extremely long time. Instead, actually each step took longer than when the same iso ran on other PCs. The same iso runs ok on a few desktop PCs and a DL360 G6 server. I am using x64 boot image. My BL20p G4 is on 2CPU@3GHz and 24GB Ram. Not sure why those vb script (typically ZTIGather.wsf) runs slow on it. Any idea?
    Friday, March 09, 2012 10:16 AM

All replies

• I am guessing that this could be related to drivers for network and storage. The wizard.hta would only show up once the network connection is successful and the drivers for storage and nic are loaded.

Check the ZTIDrivers.log and there should be another log for netconfig (I dont remember the name at the moment as I dont have access to test logs).

Should be under x:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs in the Windows PE phase. Press F8 and open command prompt and you can browse through the files.

Also, once the machine boots in Windows PE - press F8 to open cmd and see how long it takes for you to receive an IP address?

Regards, Vik Singh

Friday, March 09, 2012 11:20 AM
  • It doesn't get stuck on the networking level. I am using offline install method so not using the MDT share. The slowness happens when those MDT script runs, for example litetouch.wsf and ztigather.wsf. It looks like running on a slow machine even though the server is not. For example, in the ZTIGather.log, it takes a few seconds for some simple queries. But in a VM, the same queries only take some mini seconds. It doesn't look like  the script get stuck in any particular query. Just because each query takes longer than normal, the total time is longer. I haven run the scripts on a Win2k3 server with the same hardware spec and it is just very quick.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:41 AM