none
Best VM NIC Teaming configuration? (2012 R2 host, 2008 R2 guest)

Question

• Hi there,

So I've got an Acer AR180 F1 server with 6 Intel 82576 NICs, running a standalone Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. Storage is direct-attached.

In Server Manager, I've added the first 2 physical NICs to a dynamic LACP NIC team. This is to be used for management traffic (eg. RDP to the server from my workstation).

I want to dedicate the remaining 4 physical NICs to Hyper-V traffic.

Initially I only had a single VM running Windows Server 2012 R2, so for each of the 4 physical NICs I created a Hyper-V Virtual Switch with SR-IOV enabled. This allowed me to go into the 2012 R2 guest and do the team there, taking advantage of SR-IOV.

However, I now need to run a second VM on the server, running Windows Server 2008 R2.

As I understand it, you can't do native NIC teaming in the guest when the guest is 2008 R2.

So what I've done is:

• delete the 4 Hyper-V Virtual Switches
    • in the host OS, create a dynamic LACP NIC team called "Hyper-V" on the 4 remaining physical NICs
    • create a Hyper-V Virtual Switch called "Hyper-V Team Switch" connected to the "Hyper-V" NIC team

Questions:

1. Is there a better way of doing this, or am I on the right track?
    2. I noticed when creating the Hyper-V Team Switch that I could still choose to enable SR-IOV. Is there any point in doing this? I thought that SR-IOV doesn't work for a VM when you team the NICs at the host OS level.

Friday, January 03, 2014 12:18 AM

Answers

All replies