none
Windows 2008 Upgrade to Windows 2008 R2

Question

• Our Server is running 2008 Server SP2.  It seems to have plenty of memory (8GB) and CPU 4xXEON, but it always runs out of memory since it allocates so much to the cache.  With some success I've elevated this problem by running CacheSet.exe and DynCache, but Cacheset has to be manually evoked with a Powershell script and DynCache service does not allows do its.

So, I've heard 2008 R2 handles this memory caching issues much better.  Would upgrading completely elevate these memory problems if they're caused by caching not recycling memory properly? 

Thanks,

--jp

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to increase the virtual memory:

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.        
  • In the left pane, click  Advanced system settings. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

• Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

• Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

• Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

• Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

For upgrading to Windows Server 2008 R2 from Windows Server 2008, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Guide for Upgrading to Windows Server 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff972408(v=WS.10).aspx

Regards,

• Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:57 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  The virtual memory was increased, but still my cache memory slowly increases until all the physical memory is used. 

Does Windows 08 R2 handle this problem correctly? 

Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:14 PM