none
Project Management Documents from file share to SharePoint

Question

• Hi,

My customers have their projects documents stored in a file share. Each project has a folder which in turn has some sub folders which in turn has good number of files. The total size of the project folders has increased to 100 GB over years, this includes the archived folders as well. Every year around 25 GB of data gets created.

Will SharePoint be a good solution for storing 25GB of data at a time? On the closure of the project the files would be archived to a file share. Am aware of the fact that we can archive files in Sharepoint to another site collection through site policies but can I archive to a network file share?

Reason why they are looking at SharePoint is to stream line the daily activities in a project;maintain their different templates;control security rights;check-in & check-out etc.
    How do I migrate the existing files to SharePoint? Should I be using third party tools?
    How should I be estimating the time required for this migration exercise?

Cutloo

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:52 AM

Answers

• SharePoint will handle such data volumes.

Be aware that in SharePoint one site collection cannot be split across content databases.  I.e. 25Gb site collection = a 25Gb database.

I say this because you might want to plan your overall SharePoint site with this in mind.

The traditional approach to archiving is a record centre.

Document live and are collaborated on in team sites.  At the end of their collaborative life they go to a record centre.  A retention policy then determines when they are deleted.  I would avoid archive to file share because in such a location you cannot apply data retention policy with such a degree of accuracy as SharePoint.

To copy the data to SharePoint you can use explorer or a mapped drive with varying degrees of success.

Check out http://difs.codeplex.com for a potentially more reliable solution.

• Marked as answer by Cutloo Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:36 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies

• SharePoint will handle such data volumes.

Be aware that in SharePoint one site collection cannot be split across content databases.  I.e. 25Gb site collection = a 25Gb database.

I say this because you might want to plan your overall SharePoint site with this in mind.

The traditional approach to archiving is a record centre.

Document live and are collaborated on in team sites.  At the end of their collaborative life they go to a record centre.  A retention policy then determines when they are deleted.  I would avoid archive to file share because in such a location you cannot apply data retention policy with such a degree of accuracy as SharePoint.

To copy the data to SharePoint you can use explorer or a mapped drive with varying degrees of success.

Check out http://difs.codeplex.com for a potentially more reliable solution.

• Marked as answer by Cutloo Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:36 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

If I opt for record centre, my archived files would be in SharePoint which would mean every year the archived site collection database would increase by 25GB. In future if I need to build search on the archived site collection will there be any performance lag?
    What kind of investment my customer would need to do on the infrastructure side?If they scale up thier current architecture by adding one additional File server would this be sufficient?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:36 AM