none
how do you develop an auto expiry or auto alert workflow in share point designer ?

Question

• hello 

can anybody tell me about worflow regarding working with dates in share point designer ?

i need to create an auto expiry alert (workflow) in share point designer. 

i am developing a book library and i need  workflow that will give me an auto alert asper the date i have mentioned in  the list.

thank you for your help.

jay

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can achieve this by setting a retention policy in SharePoint 2013. Create the “send an alert” workflow associated to your document library in the SharePoint Designer 2013. Save and Publish.

Return the library, click library setting > Information management policy settings > Select a content type used within the library that you want to monitor. Enable Retention > Add a retention stage >This stage is based off a day property on the item > configure Time Period > Action: Start a workflow > Select the “send an alert” workflow.

Refer to:

Prakash's SharePoint Blog: Workflow: Reminder Before Due Date

http://prakashmadarla.blogspot.in/2011/05/workflow-reminder-before-due-date-moss.html

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:05 AM
  • is it possible to do the same in share point 2010 ?

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:34 AM
  • can you give me an example  ? i need to create this workflow in SPD 2010.

what do you think about this ?

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it applies for SharePoint 2010 as well.

If you set a retention policy, it will trigger the custom workflow when reach the expiration date you configured in policy.

In the link you provided, it is recommended to use timer job. You can also create the custom timer jobs to send the alert regularly on specific time.

You can choose the best method according to the different needs.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:58 AM
  • is it possible to create this auto alert without using pause until method? do we have an alternate way to do so ? i mean pause-until allocates memory to each and every user which is a not a god practice as per my opinion.

if you take a look at the bottom of the page you will find this 

• If the due date is more than about 2 or 3 months away, that paused workflow becomes more unreliable. There is an underlying “Workflow History” list on each site, and apparently it auto-purges records that are over 60 days old. I hear that this auto-purge can cause problems in long-running workflows.
    Friday, December 06, 2013 6:09 AM