none
SSRS export excel, what the different between body size and page size?

Question

• Hi all,

Today, I met a issue about ssrs. I set the page size to Legal(14in * 8.5in), and the body size to 14in * 8.5in. I exported an excel to print, the print preview shown that the only one page was divided into two pages. In first page, there were 2 columns lost, and they were shown in the second page.

When I setting the body size to 12.25in * 8.5. the print preview for excel can work well. Do you have any idea to explain this result?

The other setting for the report:
    InteractiveSize:14in * 8.5in
    Margin:0.25in,0.25in,0.25in,0.25in

Many thanks

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:27 AM

All replies

• This is because the Body Size and Page size  are added together, and in your case are exceeding the page width. 

That is why you are getting extra pages.

Have a look at this article to understand how pagination works in SSRS 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd255278.aspx

Thanks! Josh

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Many thanks for your reply. I found out the report body size will grow or shrink depending on the content, but most of the reports's content are dynamic, this will result in the exported reports, such as excel, sometimes work better, sometimes span multiple pages. I think this maybe an issue, because I really expected my report's body was fixed by a specific size. 

Once one page span two pages, this is very terrible for the end user.

Thanks! 

Kevin

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:06 AM
  • If you have expanding report items, for example a tablix with variable columns, unfortunately as you might know, there is no way to dynamically size the pagination to fit the width.

Thanks! Josh

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:35 AM
  • My report without variable columns, and every columns with a fixed size. The following are the report setting:

Page size: 14in * 8.5in

Margins: 0.25in

Tablix size: 13.5in

Body size: 13.5in

When printing exported excel, every page span two pages. So I update the tablix size to 12.25in and body size to 12.25, which size can print better. But I feel very wondering.

Kevin

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:09 AM
  • It's possible the tablix is growing past it's original size and that's why you're seeing an issue with pagination.

Try setting the padding to 0px on your report items as well

Thanks! Josh

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:59 PM
  • When setting the padding to 0px, I got the same result. 
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:23 AM
  • OK, then it must simply be the size of the report items + margin that is exceeding the page width.

Thanks! Josh

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:16 AM