none
Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1 Not Registered Error trying to refresh Power Pivot workbook from on premise dataset

Question

• Hi, I set up and configured Gateway, Data Sources and Power Queries as described in this link:

http://businessintelligist.com/2014/02/09/how-to-configure-on-premise-access-in-power-bi-and-use-power-query-to-load-on-premise-data-into-power-pivot/

I was able to search for my data using Search feature of Power Query, save them as workbook connections and then use them as Power Pivot connections.  When I open the Power Pivot model on my laptop and hit Refresh, all the sheets refresh successfully.  However, when I save the workbook in the Power BI site and set up data refresh there, the data refresh fails with the following message?

"The following system error occurred:  Class not registered  The provider 'Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1' is not registered. "

Correlation ID:
    ed8a8104-3585-4c23-9bac-bc41a8bda152

Please help!

• Edited by Glenture BI Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Power Query Mashup data refresh in Power BI Site is not supported in current version of PowerBI.

And it is a feature incoming soon.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:52 AM
  • ok, so how is a Power Pivot workbook supposed to be refreshed in Power BI? The only way to connect to on premise is through Gateway, the only way to connect to gate way is through the Power Query, the only way to connect Power Pivot to Power Query is through Mashap...

is there another way to connect Power Pivot to on premise data other than Power Query?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:02 PM
  • Same thing here.  How do we set up a workbook to refresh, if this option is not supported yet?
    Friday, February 14, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Something does not compute... There has gotta be a way, otherwise, I am not sure what "Manage Data Refresh" option is supposed to do.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 12:08 AM
  • Thank you for the link, however, setting up data sources is not the issue.  I was able to set up data sources and then consume the data using Power Query from Excel. So in Excel, I was able to use Search feature of Power Query, to find and consume the tables that were exposed using Gateway and Data Sources. So when I am in Excel, I can refresh my data and also source it for Power Pivot.

The Power Pivot workbook refreshes without a problem on a desktop.  But when I save it into Power BI portal and schedule data refresh it fails with the "Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1 Not Registered" message.

I just tried a very simple scenario, used Power Query to find my Data Source exposed table, and then used Load To Model option to load data into Power Pivot.  Then I saved the Excel file into Power BI portal, Enabled it for Power BI and then scheduled data refresh..

Got the same error message.

So steps are Create Gateway->Create Data Source->Add tables->Consume tables with Power Query->Load results in Power Pivot->Save into Portal->Enable and schedule data refresh->GET ERRROR

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:38 AM
  • Not sure whether the following process meets your requirements or not.

Import data into Power Pivot using sql connection string -> save workbook into BI Portal -> create gateway in Admin Center -> create data source with the same sql connection string -> enable and schedule data refresh in BI Portal

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:18 AM
  • I will give it a try, although, my connection string in the Power Pivot will have a local host name for the SQL Server.  I guess I am a little hazy about what exactly the Gateway does.  I am not sure how the Power BI portal will be able to resolve my local host name or IP name,  but maybe that's what Gateway is for.  Will give it a try and report if it works.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Any luck? I'm facing the same issue...
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:06 AM
  • yes, although i don't know if i would call it luck... basically power query is not supported as a data source, you have to use OLEDB driver to connect to SQL server and make sure that you specify the same host name in power pivot connection that was used in datasource definition for a gateway... more details are here http://businessintelligist.com/2014/02/19/what-is-power-bi-gateway/

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:23 AM
  • Yes. Power Query is not supported as a data source to be refreshed on PowerBI portal now. We plan to support this in future release.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 6:43 AM