none
SBS 2011: Hiding selected shared folders from remote web workplace

Question

• Hello there
    Is there a way to prevent shared folders from showing in the
    Remote Web Workplace but still being visible on the LAN?

Many Thanks

MIS5000

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:04 AM

Answers

• SG is correct, thbomk.  It has been one of the most requested features to allow selective viewing of shares on the RWA landing page, but if that will happen it will most likely not be until V.next.  So to hide some, but not all, requires sharename$, which, of course, hides it everywhere so that it then becomes necessary to have shortcuts for internal folks to use that share.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Marked as answer by MIS5000 Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• This should work http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/f7331a50-999d-47cb-a067-1e71463ed912.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:39 AM
  • that's on/off for the whole facility though.

I _think_ it's possible to 'hide' some so that they don't show, but I'm not sure this doesn't necessitate standard 'hidden shares' (by appending a $ to the name).

I'll ask someone I expect to know to look at the thread, confirm it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:10 AM
  • SG is correct, thbomk.  It has been one of the most requested features to allow selective viewing of shares on the RWA landing page, but if that will happen it will most likely not be until V.next.  So to hide some, but not all, requires sharename$, which, of course, hides it everywhere so that it then becomes necessary to have shortcuts for internal folks to use that share.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Marked as answer by MIS5000 Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Thanks everyone for you input.

Since the short comings to this feature has not been addressed in Service pack 1, I suspect Larry is correct
    in that it may appear in future versions, which is a pity. I would have thought
    the logical approach would have been some sort of wizard editing references to shared
    folders on the RWW XML  config file would be the call, but greater minds than mine obviously
    have thier concerns

Thanks again

MIS5000

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:16 PM
  • After some research I found this article that works perfectly:
    http://www.jacksontechnical.com/article.htm?id=50

To have only selected shares available on remote web access:

- on SBS 2011 server go to: C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\WebApp\RemoteAccess

- open web.config in notepad

- comment out / replace the following line:

<wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.SBSStorageProvider, Wssg.Web.StorageProvider" />

with:

<wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.FileSystemBasedStorageInformationProvider, Wssg.Web.Internal" shares="\\Server1\Share1;\\Server2\Share2;\\Server3\Share3" />

• Edited by matwic Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM
  • I tried this yesterday on a freshly installed sbs2011. i haven't even demoted SBS03 yet.  Works like a charm.  Incidentally, this is a crazy huge issue.  We share an accounting folder on the server and while secure, it showed up on RWW day 1. I am surprised MS didn't offer more granular control on this. 

to make this work, you just have to pay close attention to the proper syntax. if i am not mistaken, to "comment out" something, you use

<!--

at the beginning

and

-->

at the end.  the above would comment out the words "at the beginning and" (sans quotes).

here are the two lines pasted directly from my my web config file that produces the results in the picture below.

<!-- <wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.SBSStorageProvider, Wssg.Web.StorageProvider" /> -->
      <wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.FileSystemBasedStorageInformationProvider, Wssg.Web.Internal" shares="\\sbs\Company;\\sbs\Public" />

i think you could probably do it like this as well for the exact same result.  this 'code' stuff is tedious, but i wouldn't 'fear' it.

<!--

<wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.SBSStorageProvider, Wssg.Web.StorageProvider" />

-->

<wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.FileSystemBasedStorageInformationProvider, Wssg.Web.Internal" shares="\\sbs\Company;\\sbs\Public" />

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Works fine for me as long as I have one share selected. When I add another I get "There was a problem loading a gadget. Contact the person who manages your server." Any ideas?

yaro

Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:33 AM
  • I have a unique twist to this need.  The ONLY folder I want to be visible to the user in RWW is their personal folder (which we configure as %USERNAME%$ on the server).  If I modify the code suggested above to 
    "<wssg.storageProvider type="Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Storage.FileSystemBasedStorageInformationProvider, Wssg.Web.Internal" shares=\\sbs\%USERNAME%$ />"

what shows up in RWW is a folder with the label of "%USERNAME%$" and no access.  Is there any way to have RWW pick up the username from the login and pass that through so that I can get each user's unique personal folder to show up in the interface?

• Edited by SCSVCS Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:19 PM grammar correction
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Has anyone had any issues on this of files not showing up on the listings only the folders?

Standard default installation, but I can;t see any files when I go through the view, just the folders

Thanks

Tris

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Maybe a suitable strategy would be to use sharename$ in all shares that you don't want to share over RWA and make them available locally with DFS.
    • Proposed as answer by ITC-Dennis Monday, February 24, 2014 12:44 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Did you figured it out? I'm looking for that too.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:57 PM