Unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 RTM with Windows 8 Pro key.

Question

• I am not able to upgrade a Windows 8 Pro installation (that was originally upgraded from Windows Vista Business) to Windows 8.1 RTM. When I try to enter the Windows 8 upgrade key, it will not accept it. A clean installation from the Windows 8.1 RTM 64-bit media (from TechNet) gives the same error when trying to enter the key.

What am I doing wrong? What is the correct procedure to use a Windows 8 Pro upgrade key to install Windows 8.1 RTM?

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:20 AM

Answers

• You can only use a genuine Windows 8.1 (Build 9600) product key with Windows 8.1 installation media. A previous Windows 8 (Build 9200) product key will not work. I would suggest waiting for the officially released Windows 8.1 update from the Windows Store which will become available in mid-October.

Please note that the Windows 8.1 media available from MSDN and TechNet is intended for developers who install Windows 8.1 as a "clean install" and use the Windows 8.1 product keys.  That media is not intended for use by the general public or non-subscribers of MSDN/TechNet.

Carey Frisch

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• Follow the steps I mention in the last entry. If you cannot activate your upgrade key then you'll need to wait to use your upgrade key. I do believe a upgrade key does not allow that key to be use for any other version of windows that is not a upgrade product

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/76a64a16-dd23-47f7-8115-07293c861267/rtm-81-pro-wrecks-windows-media-center

• Edited by colakid Friday, September 13, 2013 10:40 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Thanks for your reply colakid, but I can still not get that to work with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade key. So, the questions remains; What is the procedure to upgrade Windows 8 Pro (upgraded from Vista) to Windows 8.1 RTM Pro? I dont mind erasing the disk to get this to work.

I have tried:

1. Clean installation of Windows 8.1 RTM on empty HDD.
    2. Upgrading a Windows 8 Pro installation with Windows 8.1 RTM.
    3. Upgrading Windows Vista Business to Windows 8 Pro (works fine) and then upgrade that Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 RTM.
    4. Clean installation of Windows 8.1 RTM with TechNet key (works fine), and then change the key to the Windows 8 Pro key.
    5. Upgrading a Windows 8 Pro installation with Windows 8.1 RTM using TechNet key (works fine) and then change the key to the Windows 8 Pro key.

In all these cases it fails when entering the Windows 8 Pro upgrade key at the Windows 8.1 RTM installation with a message that the key is not valid for this Windows edition.

I'm using 64-bit editions of Windows Vista, Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8.1 RTM.

I am using this Windows  8.1 RTM TechNet-media: sv_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707384.iso

So it is not really the activation that fails. It won't even allow me to proceed with the installation past the point where you have to enter the license key.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:39 PM
  • You can only use a genuine Windows 8.1 (Build 9600) product key with Windows 8.1 installation media. A previous Windows 8 (Build 9200) product key will not work. I would suggest waiting for the officially released Windows 8.1 update from the Windows Store which will become available in mid-October.

Please note that the Windows 8.1 media available from MSDN and TechNet is intended for developers who install Windows 8.1 as a "clean install" and use the Windows 8.1 product keys.  That media is not intended for use by the general public or non-subscribers of MSDN/TechNet.

Carey Frisch

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for your help Carey. That explains alot. I guess I have to wait for the 8.1 upgrade media then.

I am a IT professional and TechNet subscriber that is trying to evaluate the various upgrade processes for Windows 8.1. But it seems I'm not able to do that with the tools available today.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:54 PM
  • i'm VERY upset about the issue of activation keys of win 8 and WMC and win 8.1

i used a valid win 8 pro key in the win 8.1 and it doesn't work, sometimes the system tells me that is unable to reach a KMS server, other times it tells me that the serial is invalid

so what now??

i'm sat in front of my dev pc with a with shiny-fresh-win8.1 install that cannot be activated, and had to scratch my head like a fool because MS is screwing big time with the activation stuff...

before you guys start to point your finges at me and yelling me that i'm not a MSDN user and stuff, i'm using my personal account to vent out my frustration and anger, not my 'enterprise' account

my boss is trying to deploy new content for win 8.1, but, hey, don't run too fast my Little grasshopper!! you first had to activate Windows!! is it some kind of bad joke??!!

by the way, i already tried the 'backup token' method, and doesn't worked for me

any good idea of how to fix this issue?? any light at the end of the tunnel??

or i had to spent at least 4 hours in reinstalling win 8 and all our dev software??? and oh holy lord!!! it is just the installation part, reconfiguring all the dev soft will consume a couple of hours, *sigh* sometimes i hate MS

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:51 AM
  • I am not able to upgrade a Windows 8 Pro installation (that was originally upgraded from Windows Vista Business) to Windows 8.1 RTM. When I try to enter the Windows 8 upgrade key, it will not accept it. A clean installation from the Windows 8.1 RTM 64-bit media (from TechNet) gives the same error when trying to enter the key.

What am I doing wrong? What is the correct procedure to use a Windows 8 Pro upgrade key to install Windows 8.1 RTM?

• Proposed as answer by infanteluis Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:25 PM
  • an answer is still not clear but marked as an answer. could anyone please guide me how to upgrate win8 pro to win 8.1?

i have a special promo offer for win8 pro. Will it work for win8.1?

when 'll be the actual release update?

or will it not work at all?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:17 AM