none
Remote Desktop Services Manager cannot end a user's process.

Question

• We have an admin login to a backend file server and open Remote Desktop Services Manager (RDSM). On RDSM under "My Group" there is 2 other servers that are front end servers. I right click on a process I want to end and click end process. Nothing happens when clicking end process, the process stays running. The admin account is a domain users, domain admin and enterprise admin. I was reading this link 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755283.aspx 

and it says under "Additional Considerations" You must have Full Control permission to end a process running in a user session. It doesn't say Full control of what. What should I look at?

Friday, November 01, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• I found the issue in the tsadmin.msc console. Remote Desktop Services Manager was highlighted instead of "My Group". I setup the server for a client and she didn't select "My Group" when she opened the console. Also before I found this she was a domain admin under the local users and groups on the target server. I added the photo to explain what I highlighted 

Friday, November 01, 2013 8:57 PM

All replies

• hard to say what it means, i'm sure you would need admin rights on the target server and the executable in question.

i'm curious if you try to use taskkill.exe to remotely terminate that process from the same server and user credentials you are using for RDSM.

Friday, November 01, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hi , Have a look at the following : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 Also look at the server local security groups and add domain admins to the local administrator if not all ready present. Best regards,
    Friday, November 01, 2013 7:25 PM
  • I found the issue in the tsadmin.msc console. Remote Desktop Services Manager was highlighted instead of "My Group". I setup the server for a client and she didn't select "My Group" when she opened the console. Also before I found this she was a domain admin under the local users and groups on the target server. I added the photo to explain what I highlighted 

Friday, November 01, 2013 8:57 PM