none
DFS replicated folder health report / Excel Temp files / Access Denied

Question

• Hello,

When I run a DFS health report I get a couple hundred errors on Excel temp files. (named random characters)

I guess this makes since and is not a problem, but I'm wondering if there is a way to either ignore or aknoledge these so they report shows there are no errors when everthing is otherwise working.

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you mentioned, these files are temp files so DFS will not replicate them.

Actually these files will occur when opening an Office file, and removed when it is closed. Sometimes the files is not removed after closing a file then it leave in DFS folder.

Here is a thread which mentioned the issue and it is fixed by a hotfix. You can have a try:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/b7fcc59b-52d9-4a02-863a-1a529bcb8cb1/

In the end, we may not able to remove these report from DFS health report .To DFS, these files are not replicated and not in except list (because there is no extension name), so they are "problems" though we know actually they are just temp files created by Office program.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hello what type of errors do you get? Also check your event log and let us know of any event ID
    Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:51 PM
  •  

Below is the error from the DFS replicated folder diagnostic health report.

I've looked into these files. all 60 are Excel temp files.

The event log only shows a Staging Folder Highwatermark warning(DFSR 4202) Event and corresponding info that the cleaning was successful. (DFSR4204)

>>

ERRORS (There is 1 error to report)

One or more replicated folders have sharing violations.
      Affected replicated folders: FINANCE
      Description: Due to ongoing sharing violations, DFS Replication cannot replicate files in the replicated folders listed above. This problem is affecting 60 files in 1 replicated folders. Event ID: 4302
      Last occurred: Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 7:12:11 PM (GMT-5:00)
      Suggested action: Verify that the files you want to replicate are closed and have no open handles to them. For information about troubleshooting sharing violations, see The Microsoft Web Site.
    FINANCE Replicated folder

File path: E:\Corporate\Finance US

Files that cannot be replicated under the replicated folder (60):
    Relative path and file name
    \Transactions, Reporting & Forecasts\2011\1103\Revenue Recognition\T's&C's\9892F100
    \Transactions, Reporting & Forecasts\2011\1102\Account Recs (NatAcct-Org)\In Process - General Accounting\762F5000
    \Transactions, Reporting & Forecasts\2011\1102\Consolidation\07035100
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hello

You may want to go to the replication group and select the replication folder, under general tabmake sure the followign filters are in effect

~*, *.bak, and *.tmp

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

As you mentioned, these files are temp files so DFS will not replicate them.

Actually these files will occur when opening an Office file, and removed when it is closed. Sometimes the files is not removed after closing a file then it leave in DFS folder.

Here is a thread which mentioned the issue and it is fixed by a hotfix. You can have a try:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/b7fcc59b-52d9-4a02-863a-1a529bcb8cb1/

In the end, we may not able to remove these report from DFS health report .To DFS, these files are not replicated and not in except list (because there is no extension name), so they are "problems" though we know actually they are just temp files created by Office program.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Of curse they do replicate those Temp - Files because there ist no File - Ending.

Excel for Mac 2008 and 2011 does so.

My current file-filter for dfs replication on 2008r2 looks like:

~*, *.bak, *.tmp,*00

Because all that Tempfiles seems to end with  "00".

It would help a lot if the Mac  - Office developers would put a .tmp at their Tempfiles

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:57 PM