none
Possible to target custom resource using workflow activity codeless?

Question

• I can't find the answer in all the forum so I'm asking it.

I have a custom resource in FIM and I'd like to do some simple workflow like read "AttributeA" of customResourceA and do a Mid(AttributeA,71,10) and flow that to customResourceA's displayname.  

I cannot seem to do that as it states that AttributeA is not a valid attribute.  Is it possible to allow FIM to see the custom resource or is my only option creating (programming) my own custom activity with a readresourceactivity?

Honestly, I don't want to do it that way.  I'm surprised FIM can't recognize more than just people or group objects in this context. Although, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Monday, April 08, 2013 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have try to do your function in a custom expression instead of using the function UI in your workflow?

I have often view this issue in FIM. If you want to view your custom attributes in the list, you have to bind its to user or group object... and do an IISRESET

But I think it's not a nice solution.

Sylvain

• Marked as answer by gdtilghman Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:11 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:37 AM
  • A workaround would be to add the attribute which you want to use to the user resource (add binding) then the attribute can be chosen in the workflow definition and the rule would work.

This is not the nicest solution but it works.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:02 PM

All replies

• I used this with a custom resource types and there was no problem with it. But actually I've never used Mid function etc - maybe you are hitting a bug.

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:54 PM
  • How?  the Mid function isn't the issue....the issue is that I cannot Target any attributes except those for users and groups.

Let me rephrase....I can target the DisplayName of the custom resource, what I cannot do is use ANY function against the custom attribute on that custom resource.....the custom attribute being AttributeA in the example above.

• Edited by gdtilghman Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:05 PM clarification
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi

Have you run through all the actions. i.e.

1. created the custom resource

2. created the attributes?

3. bind the attributes to the custom resource?

4. edit the Administrative filter?

5. edit/create the required MPRs?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I appreciate the attention to the question but yes....to all 5.

Do you have any suggestions or examples where you were able to create a workflow to read and do a function on a customer resource's custom attribute and then modify a different attribute of the same resource based on that function?

For example...If i create a custom attribute on a computer object (custom resource) called OS version...which I flow from either AD or SCCM.....I cannot use that attribute OS version in a workflow.  It's literally not there to choose from AND....I cannot identify it in a custom expression because FIM says it's not a valid attribute.

My assumption is because "valid" attributes are only users and groups.

Now....If I have missed an MPR allowing "workflows" to SEE the resource, then that would be interesting and useful....Anyone?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Hi 

Have you looked at creating a custom MPR that allows the synch account to control the custom resource your created? 

You can look at the MPR - "Synchronization: Synchronization account controls group resources it synchronizes" us that as an example and create a custom MPR to control the custom resource and the attributes you created

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:42 PM
  • I would totally do that except....I'm not doing this in synch.  

But yes...the synch account controls all resources it is touching.

I was trying to do a set transition in MPR to trigger the workflow on all resources of this type....do this mid function on this attribute and put the result to Display Name because the custom resource is flowed from AD and doesn't have a display name....which is normal.
    • Edited by gdtilghman Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hi

Are you doing this in a Sync Rule or a Workflow Function Evaluator Activity?

This cannot be done in the Sync rule unless you have the same object in the FIM Sync Service Metaverse and you are using the AttributeA of the Metaverse Schema.

In a workflow Function Evaluator Activity this should work fine, given that the Workflow Target is the Custom Resource.

Regards Furqan Asghar

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

Have try to do your function in a custom expression instead of using the function UI in your workflow?

I have often view this issue in FIM. If you want to view your custom attributes in the list, you have to bind its to user or group object... and do an IISRESET

But I think it's not a nice solution.

Sylvain

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:37 AM
  • A workaround would be to add the attribute which you want to use to the user resource (add binding) then the attribute can be chosen in the workflow definition and the rule would work.

This is not the nicest solution but it works.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:02 PM
  • While you two are probably correct and I had already thought of that, I would like to know from the community at large or Microsoft rep specifically if there is a different more supported solution instead of doing what amounts to a workaround that is at best just hoky.
    • Edited by gdtilghman Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:13 PM spelling
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Sorry it toke me so long to understand the actual issue. I see you have found the solution though.

I agree, the solution is a bit of a duct tape solution. It would be nice to here from the product group if there is a better way to do this. 

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:28 PM