none
Delay in streming from Windows Media Services 2008 R2

Question

• Hi, I have a problem with my Windows Media Services. I just installed it to a VPS with 4GB memory, 2 cpu:s and a 100Mbps network.

When I start the services everything works good, but soon it start to delay the stream. About 15-20 more seconds/hour. 

The stream is a broadcast 160Kbps from a remote MS windows encoding. We have about 100-160 users.

Sometimes we get 1-5 second stop in the stream. I can’t find anything on the server: No high cpu, memory, Current Late Send Rate or Current Late Read Rate.

One network card but two ip. Http and rtsp enabled. Cache Proxy disabled, server side buffering is disabled.

What wrong? What can I do to find the problem?

Anders

Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:09 PM

All replies

• My guess is that you are experiencing clock drift. Try syncing the server's clock to the encoder's clock.

WMS must deliver packets based on the presentation time that is stamped on each video packet. If the system clock that WMS is running on begins to drift then very gradually the times that it sends packets to the client will cause a bit of a temporal pile-up of packets.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:09 AM