none
do you use client GUI in large environments

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know the approach for GUI distribution(as appv package) or installation on Appv clients machines in large production environment?

I do see some pluses of it... for quick Updates for example.

I just started to evaluate this thing so please share your experience ...

Thx.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Friday, August 15, 2014 4:07 PM

Answers

• We do use it, but we aren't far into our App-V 5 environment for end users (so far really just testing).  I think we are leaning towards the UI being perfectly fine for end users to check what packages they have, do an update, but tough for a helpdesk technician to troubleshoot app problems with. 

At some point we will probably create our own GUI for that reason.  Its not a high priority but I can see it going down that route.

So far we are only App-V 5 Full Infrastructure, I don't know we will do with SCCM 2012 yet.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, August 15, 2014 7:12 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 5:39 PM
  • We use it as well.  It comes in handy for times where you need the user to execute a Publishing Refresh or a Repair and you don't want to have to walk them thru doing it in PowerShell.  It makes it much easier for the help desk to walk the users thru these steps as well.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, August 15, 2014 8:06 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Yes, we use the GUI:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41186

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, August 17, 2014 2:30 AM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 4:26 AM

All replies

• We do use it, but we aren't far into our App-V 5 environment for end users (so far really just testing).  I think we are leaning towards the UI being perfectly fine for end users to check what packages they have, do an update, but tough for a helpdesk technician to troubleshoot app problems with. 

At some point we will probably create our own GUI for that reason.  Its not a high priority but I can see it going down that route.

So far we are only App-V 5 Full Infrastructure, I don't know we will do with SCCM 2012 yet.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, August 15, 2014 7:12 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 5:39 PM
  • thanks for sharing...

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:12 PM
  • We use it as well.  It comes in handy for times where you need the user to execute a Publishing Refresh or a Repair and you don't want to have to walk them thru doing it in PowerShell.  It makes it much easier for the help desk to walk the users thru these steps as well.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, August 15, 2014 8:06 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 7:31 PM
  • It is exactly what I thought when updated the changes on the client without GUI.

I think that regular user cannot even enable ps execute under his login.

Do you use GUI as installed or as a package?

Friday, August 15, 2014 8:06 PM
  • I use the GUI as a package.  You can either publish it globally or per user, it works both ways.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 8:31 PM
  • Yes, we use the GUI:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41186

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, August 17, 2014 2:30 AM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 4:26 AM
  • I think that regular user cannot even enable ps execute under his login.

If the PoSh execution policy isn't set to the right values, also the GUI won't work as it relies on PoSh.

As the GUI is quite limited, I tend to stick on PoSh only or use a free 3rd party solution like Login's ACDC v2.

An alternative would be AppV_Manage by TMurgent, but this is more for advanced users, 2nd level help desk and alike

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:57 PM