none
sharepoint search randomly stops working

Question

• Any one have suggestions on how to reset the sharepoint search function.

It has randomly stpped working...no recent updates installed

tami

A computer once beat me at chess...but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi:

Love your tag line....

I don't find anything regarding this error exactly, but there are some clues here:

http://eventid.net/display-eventid-14-source-Microsoft-SharePoint%20Products-SharePoint%20Server%20Se-eventno-10898-phase-1.htm

I think I would take the question to the SharePoint forums and link the differences in your entries vs. those in the link above.

Also, run the psconfig command again, restart the server at least twice, and run the SBS BPA.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:13 AM
  • SharePoint search is a very disk and memory intensive process. In foundation it is also limited to 3 million items. So please check:

1. Your AV scans are not clashing with SharePoint Search. what about disk imaging software is that running and pegging the disk?

2. How much memory and disk space do you have available? Pls check utilization.

3. How big is the SharePoint database and how big are the search databases?

4. How many items are in your SharePoint?

5. Check the Search databases in SQL to ensure they are not corrupt. You can blow them away and recreate them and do a full reindex if needed.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks Robert Crane [MVP-Office365] www.ciaops.com

• Marked as answer by Tami Farrelly Friday, July 19, 2013 11:44 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi:

While setting the service to restart on failure (Start - admin tools - services - right click the service - properties - recovery - set to restart) might help, we need to figure out what is causing it.  What do you seen in the event log viewer?  Please post up relevant event id and source from the entry.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:17 AM
  • Hi there Larry,

Event log shows several errors 12 per hour...search works for a time then suddenly just stops. Have run PSCONFIG before and it has fixed it...not this time though.

____________________________________________________________________________

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation Search
    Date:          7/17/2013 4:35:28 AM
    Event ID:      14
    Task Category: Gatherer
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          BRYSTONLTD\spsearch
    Computer:      BRYSTONLTD01.BrystonLtd.local
    Description:
    The start address sts4://brystonltd01/contentdbid={f5c0177c-da45-4165-91e5-4d968033ca6b} cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search_index_file_on_the_search_server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
     The object was not found.   (0x80041201)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation Search" Guid="{1C415899-58B3-4BFC-9236-105E7FD38719}" />
        <EventID>14</EventID>
        <Version>14</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>174</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-17T08:35:28.699844600Z" />
        <EventRecordID>565180</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="16668" ThreadID="7216" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>BRYSTONLTD01.BrystonLtd.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1385284763-1185805662-747719601-9161" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string0">sts4://brystonltd01/contentdbid={f5c0177c-da45-4165-91e5-4d968033ca6b}</Data>
        <Data Name="string1">

Context: Application 'Search_index_file_on_the_search_server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
     The object was not found.   (0x80041201)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Hi:

Love your tag line....

I don't find anything regarding this error exactly, but there are some clues here:

http://eventid.net/display-eventid-14-source-Microsoft-SharePoint%20Products-SharePoint%20Server%20Se-eventno-10898-phase-1.htm

I think I would take the question to the SharePoint forums and link the differences in your entries vs. those in the link above.

Also, run the psconfig command again, restart the server at least twice, and run the SBS BPA.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:13 AM
  • SharePoint search is a very disk and memory intensive process. In foundation it is also limited to 3 million items. So please check:

1. Your AV scans are not clashing with SharePoint Search. what about disk imaging software is that running and pegging the disk?

2. How much memory and disk space do you have available? Pls check utilization.

3. How big is the SharePoint database and how big are the search databases?

4. How many items are in your SharePoint?

5. Check the Search databases in SQL to ensure they are not corrupt. You can blow them away and recreate them and do a full reindex if needed.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks Robert Crane [MVP-Office365] www.ciaops.com

• Marked as answer by Tami Farrelly Friday, July 19, 2013 11:44 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for the response....I figured it was a resource issue as store was using almost all of the 24gigs of memory in the server...restart fixed the issue...thanks to Larry's suggestion.

I remember having to restart the old SBS 4.0 every month for the very same reason....services would just start failing and a restart would release the memory.

thanks for your suggestions!

Tami

• Edited by Tami Farrelly Friday, July 19, 2013 11:47 PM bad speller of the world..untie
    Friday, July 19, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Hi there Larry...

the restart worked. I was looking at the resources and the store was hogging all the memory.

As for the tag line....I am sure we all have had days where we would just love to kick a server, computer....user ;))

Thanks for the help!!

Tami

Friday, July 19, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Glad it helped.  Now review this for limiting the amount of RAM that Exchange will consume and see if it keeps it from happening again.  And make notes of Roberts suggestions as well.

http://www.thirdtier.net/2012/01/solving-the-unresponsive-exchange-sbs-server-problem/

Friday, July 19, 2013 11:59 PM