none
Cannot Start User Profile Synchronization Service

Question

• Need help on starting user profile synchronization service.

I am stuck with a issue in production for last 3 days. When i start User Profile Synchronization Service its not starting. FIM service goes to started mode and comes back to disable mode. I am using FARM account to start the User Profile Synchronization Service. Which is part of local admin group as well.

Getting below error in SharePoint Log,

OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1880)                              0x211C  SharePoint Portal Server               User Profiles                       9q15      High                    UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure ILM, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:23 AM

All replies

• hi,

Before you start SharePoint Profile Synchronization service you must start few services and configure delegate control as shown in below

1. Add delegate control to your domain in AD
    2. Start "Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service","Forefront Identity Manager service" on sharepoint Application server.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12545.sharepoint-2013-setting-up-user-profile-synchronization-12.aspx

karim

Please remember to mark your question as answered, if this solves your problem.

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi Karim,

Have tried out the things.. Still we get the error...

OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1880)                              0x211C  SharePoint Portal Server               User Profiles                       9q15      High                    UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure ILM, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Do need to recreate the UPS itself? In many sites people are asking us to recreate the UPS.

I am working on SharePoint 2010... i have never faced this issue in last two years... 

Thanks,

Mani

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Mani,

It seems this issue is because of network connectivity issue with your SQL server , your profile services are not able to resolve the SQL server name, Is your web application content database SQL server and UPS database servers are same? if yes, are you facing any other error in event viewer, Eg: related to SQL server?

if there is no errors as a work around

1. Run sharepoint products and configurations wizard
    2. Restart SQL server where your UPS database are stored and Application server

Still if you are not able to fix the issue and there is no  more other errors in event viewer related to this issue and if you haven't configured any custom profile properties you can delete Profile service application and recreate new one and sync the profiles

karim

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Karim,

Yes the database is same for web application and UPS. the same error is getting logged in event viewer also.

If i Run sharepoint products and configurations wizard wont it have any effect on server what ever i am going to do is in production server... Is there any CU updates that will fix this issue?

Current CU that is installed is of April 2011... I feel that that SP configuration wizard was not run after installing CU. So i am trying out best option so that production env doesnt go down.

Will try out and let you know.

Mani.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Mani,

If you execute the sharepoint products and configuration wizard your sharepoint farm will down till your Wizard execution complete,

So expect the down time and run this wizard in maintenance window, It is recommend to keep your farm updated with latest CU, so install latest CU from below link.

Note:Before every update with CU dont forget to backup your FARM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847.aspx

Before installing CU as a work around restart your SQL and Sharepoint servers, because it seems your SQL server name is not resolving in network.

karim

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:22 AM
  • Hi Karim,

Current Farm has got April 2012 CU. So do we need to update all the CU after April 2012 or the latest one? And i could see that SP 2 has been rolled out for SharePoint Server 2010.

There was a recent change done in Production, the Farm account was changed after installing SharePoint Server. This change as done because of an alert in SP Health Analyzer - Farm account shouldnt be used for configuring other service application. Will this have an impact? UPS is currently referring to farm account only. Even the SharePoint Timer service was restarted to make sure that the latest service account's are getting reflected after making changes.

Since this is happening only in Production Environment we dont want to do anything that will bring the environment down.

Please let me know if you need any more details from my end.

Thanks,

Mani

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Mani,
    No need to install all the CU's just install SP2 but before install SP2 dont forget to install the CU of june 2013,
    Because SP2 doesn't include June 2013 CU http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2013/07/23/sharepoint-server-2010-service-pack-2-has-been-released.aspx
    updating Farm account wouldn't be the reason but check your new farm account and the apppool account of UPS has required credentials on SQL server and database.

karim

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Karim,

I could see the new farm account under SQL server instance -> security -> Logins -> new farm account.

below three UPSA database has new farm account as database owner.

User Profile Service Application_ProfileDB - new farm account (dbOwner)

User Profile Service Application_SocialDB - new farm account (dbOwner)

User Profile Service Application_SyncDB - new farm account (dbOwner)

IIS application pool UPSA using new farm account only.

Is there anything else that needs to be checked?

Thanks,

Mani

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Karim,

Is there anyway to identify that SP configuration wizard has made changes to the server?

I am planning to restart the SQL server Instance as there are other SQL server instance in the clustered environment which is not releated to SharePoint. So i cant bring the cluster environment down.

1. SQL Server Instance Restart
    2. SharePoint Server Reboot
    3. Run SharePoint Configuration wizard on SharePoint Server

These are the steps that i am planning to execute it today. Hope this will fix the issue. I cant delete UPSA as it's a production environment.

Thanks,

Mani

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:32 AM
  • mani,

you can check log files under 14 hive to know the upgrade,

karim

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Karim,

Again it failed today as well. getting same error.

UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure ILM, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.ExecuteSQL(String queryString)     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.LoadSQLFile(String FileName)     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.IlmBuildDatabase()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.ILMPostSetupConfiguration.ConfigureIlmWebService(Boolean existingDatabase)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.SetupSynchronizationService(ProfileSynchronizationServiceInstance profileSyncInstance).

Will you be able to guide with someother steps? i need this to be fixed by today.

Thanks,

Mani

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Can this user profile service be deleted and re-created without major data loss? Are people using their user profiles in any way yet? If possible, try to delete and recreate. If you are still getting this SQL error, it might be worth it to try to run the SQL Profiler on the sync database and see whats going on there...

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I have these error entries as well in ULS...

ERROR  ILMPostSetupConfiguration: ILM Configuration: Validating installation of SQL Service FAILED ...
    ILM Configuration: Error 'ERR_SERVICE_NOT_INSTALLED'.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I could see in services.msc that FIM synchronaztion service is trying to run with Old Farm account. It changes to new farm account goes to started mode and again comes back to disabled mode with OLD FARM ACCOUNT.

I am sure that the farm account is causing the issue.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Do you want to try to manually change this account to the new farm account inside of services.msc? It sounds like your already outside the bounds of normal behavior if you've switched farm accounts...

Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:56 PM

• Once I start the UPSS in central admin. I can see the change in FIM service. I am not trying to configure it manually. I know that the FIM service need to be started automatically. Is there anything else other than deleting the UPSA. 
    Friday, August 16, 2013 5:13 PM
  • I don't think deleting the UPSA will even solve your problem, if your problem really is this old/new farm account problem. This old/new farm account thing could be a red herring. Have you tried to run the SQL Profiler and see if either the old or new account can get onto the sync database? Your real problem still sounds like a SQL DB problem...

Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:34 PM
  • I tried running SQL profiler. It's not getting recorded with the new farm account when i start the synchronization service. The same has been done in other test environment and its working fine.... how it is have an impact only on production server? 
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Karim,

How about executing this step?

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=300

will this be useful?

Mani

Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Can anyone please give concrete steps to be followed before deleting the UPSA. I dont want to face any issue while creating a new one.

Mani

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:02 AM
  • If you are using the normal FIM-based user profile sync, the steps are the same as they were for 2010 - see here 

http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

But do you want to delete and re-create totally? the link 

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=300

seems like a good idea if you want to try it. Another idea I had is to try to start the sync service from another server and see if you get different results...

Learn.SharePoint.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:46 AM
  • In production the database is in clustered environment and other environment we got normal database environment

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:16 AM
  • I think that, if possible, you should delete your user profile service and start over using the article I provided previously...

Learn.SharePoint.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Open regedit on your SP server where sync instance installed and go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\FIMSynchronizationService\Parameters, find key Server.

Then open MS SQL Studio and try to connect to this server.

Best regards, Andrii

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Today i am going to delete the UPSA and create a new one. Its not able to resolve the DNS name for some reason. Hope it will create proper link between  UPSA and Sync DB. Will keep posted if the solution works.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:55 AM
  • mani,

m'y apologies for late response, actually my forum alerts got disabled and stop getting alerts,

karim

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Karim,

It's fine. I delete the UPSA and created again. still getting the same error.

Tried running SQL Profiler and found that activities are getting traced when we start the synchronization service.

UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure ILM, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.ExecuteSQL(String queryString)     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.LoadSQLFile(String FileName)     at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SetupUtils.IlmWSSetup.IlmBuildDatabase()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.ILMPostSetupConfiguration.ConfigureIlmWebService(Boolean existingDatabase)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.SetupSynchronizationService(ProfileSynchronizationServiceInstance profileSyncInstance).

ERROR  ILMPostSetupConfiguration: ILM Configuration: Validating installation of SQL Service FAILED ...

Need to fix this issue some how.

Mani.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Hi Mani

Steps that should be followed after recreation of user profile service application

Step 1:

IfUser Profile Service Application re-created.

Step 2:

Go to Run Services.msc

Check the following services are running under which account (is it farm account?)
     Forefront Identity Manager Service
     Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service

Step 3:

Run the configuration wizard once the User Profile Service Application was recreated.

Step 4:

Check if farm account is having the access to the database.

Step 5:

Check all the sharepoint webapplications and application pools are started state

Step 6:

Restart sharepoint services in all the web front end servers.

Step 7:

Run following script with sharepoint powershell console.
    $syncDBType = "Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SynchronizationDatabase"

$upaSAType = "User Profile Service Application"

$syncDB = Get-SPDatabase | where-object {$_.Type -eq $syncDBType}

$upa = Get-SPServiceApplication | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq $upaSAType}

Write-Host “Unprovision” –ForegroundColor Green

$syncDB.Unprovision()

$syncDB.Status = "Offline"

$upa.ResetSynchronizationMachine()

$upa.ResetSynchronizationDatabase()

Write-Host “Provision” –ForegroundColor Green

$syncDB.Provision()

Write-Host “Restart SP Timer service” –ForegroundColor Green

restart-service SPTimerV4

Write-Host “UPSS re-provisioned successfully” –ForegroundColor Green

Step 8:

Redo the Steps 3 and 6.

Step 9:

Go to Central Administration Application Management Manage Services on Server

Start the  User Profile Syncronization Service

It should Work Fine.Let me know if it works.

Refer follwoing link for :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg750257(v=office.14).aspx

Thanks
    Ravikumar

Hi Mani
    Steps that should be followed after recreation of user profile service application
    Step 1:
    IfUser Profile Service Application re-created.
    Step 2:
    Go to Run Services.msc
    Check the following services are running under which account (is it farm account?) 
     Forefront Identity Manager Service
     Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service
    Step 3:
    Run the configuration wizard once the User Profile Service Application was recreated.
    Step 4:
    Check if farm account is having the access to the database.
    Step 5:
    Check all the sharepoint webapplications and application pools are started state

Step 6:
    Restart sharepoint services in all the web front end servers.
    Step 7:
    Run following script with sharepoint powershell console.
    $syncDBType = "Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SynchronizationDatabase"
    $upaSAType = "User Profile Service Application"
    $syncDB = Get-SPDatabase | where-object {$_.Type -eq $syncDBType}
    $upa = Get-SPServiceApplication | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq $upaSAType}
    Write-Host “Unprovision” –ForegroundColor Green
    $syncDB.Unprovision()
    $syncDB.Status = "Offline"
    $upa.ResetSynchronizationMachine()
    $upa.ResetSynchronizationDatabase() 
    Write-Host “Provision” –ForegroundColor Green
    $syncDB.Provision()
    Write-Host “Restart SP Timer service” –ForegroundColor Green 
    restart-service SPTimerV4 
    Write-Host “UPSS re-provisioned successfully” –ForegroundColor Green

Step 8:
     Redo the Steps 3 and 6.
    Step 9:
    Go to Central Administration Application Management Manage Services on Server
    Start the  User Profile Syncronization Service
    It should Work Fine.Let me know if it works.
    Refer follwoing link for :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg750257(v=office.14).aspx
    Thanks
    Ravikumar

• Edited by Rave551 Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:15 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Did you ever get any useful information about your SQL error using Wireshark? I'd try to use a tool like Wireshark or Netmon to try to look at the SQL communication, see if its trying to connect to some database that does not exist or something...

Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Karim,

The link that was suggested first,i will be trying it out on Wednesday.

Second link is regarding Kerberos exception. But i am getting Transport level error. I guess the exception is different.

ERROR  ILMPostSetupConfiguration: ILM Configuration: Validating installation of SQL Service FAILED ...

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:21 PM
  • mani,

While deleting and recreating new UPS application, did you delete including UPS databases or only service application?

if you would have deleted including databases, can we do some workaround as

1. create one more UPS service application[Don't delete the existing one] with new databases on the same database server and check whether UPS services are working or not?

if not working..

2. Delete the newly created UPS service application and create again with database on any other DB server[not one in production] Existing in your environment and check whether your UPS are working or not

karim

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:57 AM