none
SharePoint Foundation 2010 "Standalone" Installation, confusion with Reporting Services

Question

• Hello,

I have a successful installation of SPF 2010 using the "Standalone" option, which installs SQL Server 2008 Express for you. I definitely noticed in the pre-requisite installation that SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in, installed successfully. From the Start Menu, SQL Server 2008 >> Configuration Tools >>Reporting Service Configuration Manager, I get the following error when I specify my server name for the Server Name: prompt: "Unable to connect to the Report Server WMI provider.. Invalid Namespace".  I see there is no Report Server Instance.

Could there be an issue that for the Standalone install for SPF 2010, the SQL Server 2008 version is not the R2 version, or maybe incompatible with the pre-req download of SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in? The version of Express that installed looks to be 10.1.2531.0.

Without getting past this, I see no way to set up Reporting Services Integration in Central Admin, as I don't have a valid RS web service URL to provide.

I'm assuming this is not a problem with the SPF 2010 complete/server farm install.

thanks in advance!

Monday, May 03, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• First of all the Standalone installation will only install the Express Database server for your and none of the other Server roles of MS SQL.

This Reporting Services Add-in works together with SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services [Which needs to be installed separately], which is required for the report server instance. SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services provides the following functionality for a report server that runs in SharePoint integrated mode:

• Synchronization from the SharePoint content database to the report server database.
    • A custom security extension that uses SharePoint permissions to control access to report server operations.
    • A delivery extension that you can use in subscriptions to deliver reports to SharePoint libraries.
    • A revised Reporting Services Configuration tool that you can use to configure a report server for SharePoint integrated operations.
    • A SOAP endpoint for managing report server content in SharePoint integrated mode.
    • Support for new data-driven subscriptions and URL parameters.
    • In-place upgrade of the Reporting Services Add-in.
    The setup just installed the reporting Services Add-in for you and not the SQL Server Reporting Services role for you, and yes the story will be different if you might have used the Server Farm install as you might use a full blown sql server.

Hope that helps..

-Mukesh

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

thanks for your timely response. you're reply does help in that I understand what you are saying, as I recall it is what I think similar in setting up SharePoint Integration mode and RS in WSS3. 

However, I still don't know if I am doing something incorrect in my Standalone installation, or SharePoint Integration Mode is just a very tricky install with SQL Express and the SPF 2010 Standalone option.

I got pretty far along installing in the following manner:

After bailing out on installing Standalone OOTB (thinking I need SQL Server Express R2 and not SQL Server Express SP1), I began with a clean Windows 2008 R2 VM and downloaded and installed Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 RTM - Express with Advanced Services. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e08766ce-fc9d-448f-9e98-fe84ad61f135&displaylang=en

Then before installing SPF. I made sure Reporting Services was up and running, i.e. connecting to the Report Server using the configuration tools.. fine

Then I installed SPF 2010 using Standalone option, and followed that by downloading the Reporting Services Addin (rsSharePoint.msi) from this site
    http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner/archive/2010/04/25/reporting-services-in-sharepoint-2010-access-services.aspx

This program allowed me to first uninstall the existing Reporting Services feature (from the Advanced install), of which I did. Then I re-ran rsSharePoint.msi and installed the add-in, checked things out in Management Studio (provided some rights to the master database), then created a new Reporting Server database in Sharepoint Integrated Mode.  Now all this worked without much effort.

So I now get into the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, connect to my Report Server Instance, select Database >> Change Database >> Create new Report Server Database, blah, blah >> Report Server Mode is SP Integrated...  However my first concern is when I log into the Report Manager URL and upon authentication, I get the message "The feature "WIndows SharePoint Services integration" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.

Regardless of the message I continue to Central Administration and successfully run Reporting Services >> Reporting Services Integration, then Reporting Services >> Add a Report Server to the Integration, but for Reporting Services >> Set Sever Defaults, I get a farily large message on the page that begins as follows.. System.Web.Services.Protocals.SoapException: The feature "Windows sharepoint services integration" is not supported in this edition of reporting services"

I'm wondering if I'm getting tripped up dealing with a permissions thing, or some other anomaly..

thanks again!

Saturday, May 08, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Doug, if you are installing the Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 RTM - Express with Advanced Services first, whats the point in choosing  Standalone option while installing SPF.

Would suggest you first install Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 RTM - Express with Advanced Services, configure it as you need. Add the SharePoint Service account which you will be using to SQL and assign DB_Creator & Security_Admin rights to it. Start SPF installation and choose Server Farm, after installation in the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard provide your SQL Express instance name [if any or server name], provide the user which was added in SQL server and let the wizard do its work.

Hope that helps.

-Mukesh

Sunday, May 09, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Mukesh,

I'll just ask straight out-- does reporting services work with the standalone installation of SPF 2010? Without all this extra tweaking, just OOBE. Since the standalone install is supposed to be the demo, evaluation install, not having a basic functionality work is not really cool-- and is something we all need to know.

Right now, RTM has an extra web part OOTB, SQL server reporting services, available for every site, that fails to actually add to the page, and can even crash the wiki home page of a team site if the innocent admin adds it to see what it does. Also, of course, are the reporting services settings for each site collection and subsites, as well as in Central Administration. If those aren't supposed to work in the evaluation install-- it would be great to know. : )

-callahan

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Since the standalone install is supposed to be the demo, evaluation install, not having a basic functionality work is not really cool-- and is something we all need to know.

Callahan,

By me, Standalone version of SPF 2010 is not a demo or evaluation version. Its meant for small organization who do not have a budget for a full fledge version of SQL and knows that there DB size will not grow more than 10GB [the new max db size limit of SQL Express] at any given point in time.

About your Question does reporting services work with the standalone installation of SPF 2010? I have never check the same myself but as per me the SQL version which gets installed when you choose Standalone, will not install SQL reporting services with it for you. I'm not sure on this but will check installing the same on a test server and will confirm on that.

But yeah if you go for the Server Farm option and use the SQL Server 2008 Express or the standard/enterprise edition, you get alot of flexibility.

Will get back with a confirm answer on your query.

-Mukesh

After checking the same and i had already mentioned before that the SQL version which gets installed when you choose Standalone, will not install SQL reporting services with it for you. So you will have to use one of the following editions of SQL Developer, Evaluation, Standard, or Enterprise to use SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in. Which even answers Doug query.

For more info regrading Requirements for Running Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode visit the following link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283190%28SQL.105%29.aspx

Also on the SQL Server® 2008 R2 November CTP Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint® Technologies 2010 download page

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=16bb10f9-3acc-4551-bacc-bdd266da1d45&displaylang=en

Its already mentioned

Instructions

You can install and configure the servers in any order, but integrated operations will not be available until the configuration steps are complete for both servers. For detailed information on the installation steps, see the Readme for the existing Reporting Services Add-in.

Step 1: Install a SharePoint technology instance.

Step 2: Install SQL Server 2008 R2 November CTP Reporting Services and specify that the report server use SharePoint Integrated mode.

Step 3: Configure Reporting Services.

Step 4: Download the Reporting Services Add-in by clicking the rsSharePoint.msi link later on this page. To start the installation immediately, click Run . To install at a later time, click Save .

Step 5: Install the Reporting Services Add-in and configure the report server on the SharePoint technology instance.

Step 6: Set permissions and add Reporting Services content types.

Step 7: Verify the installation.

So basically you will not be able to use the Reporting Services Add-in with the standalone SPF install or with  Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 RTM - Express with Advanced Services. You will need one of the SQL Editions Developer, Evaluation, Standard, or Enterprise to successfully utilize the following and more

• Multizone support. Use the alternate access mapping functionality in your SharePoint environment to access report server items from one or more SharePoint zones (default, internet, intranet, extranet, or custom). This is useful when you have a SharePoint environment that can be accessed by users from multiple zones
    • SharePoint list support. Access SharePoint lists as data sources for building reports in Report Builder
    • Ribbon user experience. Group reports in a more logical manner through the extension of the SharePoint ribbon, making content much easier to find

Hope That helps

-Mukesh

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Thank you Mukesh, you are the first person to directly answer me concerning Reporting Services and SharePoint Foundation Standalone install. I have people who depend on me to know these things, and all of my questions concerning this issue (since the day of RTM release) have been in vain.

You wouldn't happen to know what, exactly Reporting Services is supposed to do in SPF, would you? There are new settings links at even the subsite level, and a new web part (that doesn't just fail if SSRS isn't set up, but can force a maintenance page delete on wiki pages). I am not sure what exactly is supposed to be done in SharePoint Foundation to really leverage reporting services the way MS seems to be expecting. There is absolutely nothing about it in TechNet (or MSDN) that I can find.

Any thoughts?

And again, thank you for answering me. I appreciate it.

-callahan

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:09 PM