none
Orchestrator, Service Manager vs FIM

General discussion

• Hi,

I have noticed that there may be some overlap between FIM & Orchestrator & Service Manager:

- automation of group memberships

- self service password reset portal

- maybe a few more

So why are there products within the Microsoft stack that compete against each other, and which one do we use and when?

thank you

• Changed type Shim Kwan Monday, October 21, 2013 5:26 AM its more of a discussion point
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

thats a question we and our customers also deal with, but since there are no news about the next version and where the product goes (like Name for example) I look also forward to a Micrsosoft answer on this.

Hope there is a alpha/beta in the future to see where the product is going thru, also the integration of BHold and connection to other systems like SCSM and SharePoint.

Other relevant points are:

SCSM: Requesting additional permissions or other things

SharePoint: Workflows and MySite, rather then in Edit Profile in Portal.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:26 AM
  • Thanks Peter, would someone be able to summarize the overlapping features?

• SCSM: Requesting additional permissions or other things --> not really out of the box in FIM, but can be developed?
    • SharePoint: Workflows and MySite, -->  User Profile updates in FIM Portal
    • SCSM: automation of group memberships --> Group membership automation in FIM Portal
    • SCSM: SSPR --> SSPR in FIM Portal & FIM client

Any more?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:00 AM
  • I have a similar question, I guess the most obvious overlaps are listed here but which product should be used for what?

We will be implementing both products in our production environment and each product has clear advantages over the other for certain tasks.

It seems a bit overkill to provide 2 self-service platforms for the end-user so my preference would go to the SCSM self-service portal.
    Is there a way to trigger a workflow in FIM for user/group management instead of having to rely on Orchestrator?

Or: where can I find more information about SCSM-FIM integration (not only the reporting bit).

Monday, November 04, 2013 3:10 PM