none
DNS Suffix being appended to non-local domains

Question

• Hi All,

I've setup a 2012 domain (robot.net) and have my DNS Servers forwarding queries to our ISP Provided DNS.  I have also setup a DNS zone for another external domain we manage - we'll call this 123.com.

While on a workstation in robot.net If i try to access a host entry in 123.com that has an A record all is well.  If I try to access something that does NOT have an A record in my 123.com zone it doesn't work.  When i do an nslookup for 123.com for example, i get a non authoritative answer of 123.com.robot.net

It's appending the dns suffix of robot.net to anything it doesn't know for some reason, i've setup this exact environment with server 2008, and didn't have this issue, this is another instance just running server 2012 and I'm at a loss for what's changed in DNS.  

-Matt

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:04 PM

Answers

• This is not an issue with your DNS server.  This problem is originated at the client.  Your client is appending the "robot.net" to the request. 

If the computer is domain joined, its properties should have been set correctly.  For example, if you look at the control panel --> system --> advanced system settings --> Computer Name tab, the full computer name should include the domain suffix there.  

In addition, if you go to the Network and sharing center and navigate to the network adapters and take a look at the adapter properties, TCP IPv4 properties, advanced, DNS tab... you should have the default settings checked.. make sure that you havent included any additional domain suffixes to be appended.

If you are using NSLOOKUP or any other related tool, when you query a name, you should be supplying the fully qualified name and not the NetBIOS name.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:16 PM

All replies

• Interesting.

XXX.123.com is an FQDN not a hostname no matter it has or not  A-record in 123.com zone, it shall never be appended with the primary DNS suffix (robert.net). Any experts please explain?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:34 AM
  • This is not an issue with your DNS server.  This problem is originated at the client.  Your client is appending the "robot.net" to the request. 

If the computer is domain joined, its properties should have been set correctly.  For example, if you look at the control panel --> system --> advanced system settings --> Computer Name tab, the full computer name should include the domain suffix there.  

In addition, if you go to the Network and sharing center and navigate to the network adapters and take a look at the adapter properties, TCP IPv4 properties, advanced, DNS tab... you should have the default settings checked.. make sure that you havent included any additional domain suffixes to be appended.

If you are using NSLOOKUP or any other related tool, when you query a name, you should be supplying the fully qualified name and not the NetBIOS name.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:16 PM