none
Can I covert a production Windows Server 2008 R2 from Raid 0 to Raid 1 without bringing down the server?

Question

• I was rushed to put a server online about a year ago, but really needed to install Raid 1 mirroring.  Instead Raid 0 is on the system.  I need to convert to from Raid 0 to Raid 1 if possible without affecting the operating system.  Can this be done?  The server is also part of a cluster and is the backup server to the cluster so all of the users are currently connected to the primary.  A Disk Array is attached to the two servers in the cluster so I guess if I do proceed, then I should unplug the cables from the server I am working on converting. I am only looking to convert the internal hard drives not the Disk Array.

Please help if posssible.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hello SugarMagnolia7,
    I think is possible to preserve Operating System while converting from Raid 0 to Raid 1. Is it a RAID Hardware, right ?

I suggest to make an image of your hard disk, then change from Raid 0 to Raid 1 and restore image. You can use Acronis True Image, or any other software able to backup and restore images. If it doesn't boot, read this article from Acronis Forum 38761: Restoring RAID0 Backup Image to RAID1 Mirror.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Help and click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:01 PM