none
Tracing down data flow within an DB

Question

• Hello,

pls, many times I was wandering if there is an practical way of performing subject's issue. Namely,

1) if there is an App without source code, on production server and

2) corresponding DB, that is open i.e., it is possible to go through all the objects but, plethora of them

Question: upon CLICK event on the control located on the App interface, is there an practical way of how to follow data flow, entered on the interface controls, how to trace down which SP(s) have been fired out etc..etc...

DB itself is very, very complex.....

how to cope with such tasks?

thanks

bye

Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• daredavil3011,

You may use SQL Profiler. This would help you to capture all of your events.

• Marked as answer by daredavil3011 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:59 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:48 PM
  • On production server don't use SQL Profiler due to performance impact.

Use server-side tracing with caution as well:

http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices/createtrace/

BOL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175047.aspx

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Design & Programming
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Marked as answer by daredavil3011 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:59 PM
    Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Thanks for this, I have forgotten to let you know that we are not allowed to use Profiler on production server, at all!

Should I submit an request to the ADMINS in order to get permission?

Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:57 AM
  • I can't see why you would need to be on the production server for the particular request you have. Shouldn't a test environment do equally well?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by daredavil3011 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:57 PM
    Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:24 PM
  • Should I submit an request to the ADMINS in order to get permission?

Or work with them to collect the data on your behalf using a server-side SQL Trace or Extended Events trace.  Add a filter (e.g. client host name) so that only the needed events are collected.  At a minimum, you'll probably want RPC:Completed and TSQL:BatchCompleted depending on the client API and data access techniques.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by daredavil3011 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:37 PM
    Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for answer, I have got permission to use Profiler but, as much as I can see, it will be very confusing display with a lot of lines changing permanently, will have to follow some tutorial on how to use it....

thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:56 PM
  • I have got permission and can use Profiler directly on production server although the display looks pretty confusing with a lot of lines...

thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:02 PM
  • You will need to set up a good filter. For instance, filter from the machine you are running the application from. Or the login if you are using a unique login. It the application is chatty you can still get a lot of output, but there is much to do about that.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Unique Login...yes, from the localhost, my machine via network connects to SQLServer production machine while App itself is located on another production machine, WEB server, of course...Thanks....
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:05 AM