none
Will intune work if windows firewall is set to block all incoming connections including those in the list of allowed programs? If file and print sharing is turned off?

Question

• Hi.

On laptops, I set the public network location (location aware firewall on win7) such that all incoming connections are blocked.  Will windows intune still work on this location aware setting?  What if I disable file and printer sharing?  I also like to do this on laptop computers.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:26 AM

Answers

• Intune so far is working as expected on those laptops that are set to block all incoming connections.
    • Marked as answer by OIStaff Friday, March 09, 2012 9:34 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:34 PM

All replies

• I was just now successfully able to push Skype out to a test computer only after I completely disabled my firewall - including Private firewall; mind you I'm on a domain.  I believe if you write an exception rule to allow Intune to pass-through you should be good.

File and Print share shouldn't have a baring on how or if Intune works, as they're used to address local network files. That's the magic of the cloud :p

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Intune so far is working as expected on those laptops that are set to block all incoming connections.
    • Marked as answer by OIStaff Friday, March 09, 2012 9:34 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Hi OIStaff,

Setting "Block all incoming connections" only blocks unsolicited traffic.  Traffic that is requested by your system (from Windows Intune for example) will work just fine.

Review this link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Understanding-Windows-Firewall-settings

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:13 AM