none
SBSE 2001 Backing Up Server 2008 R2 Computers

Question

• I've just installed the SBSE 2011 RC build and I'm trying to add a Server 2008 R2 computer as a client for backups. When I run the connector install, I get an error message that the computer is running a version of the Windows operating system that is not supported to connect to the server. However, on the SBSE 2011 box in the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package folder there's a file called supportedOS.xml that contains the following:

<SupportedOS>
      <!-- Name is not used by the code but might be helpful in identifying the OS that is described by these parameters -->
      <!-- ExcludedSuite, RequiredSuite, and RequiredProductType are the numbers as specified in the OSVERSIONINFOEX structure -->
      <!-- Architecture is the number as specified in the SYSTEM_INFO structure -->
      <OS id="1" Name="Windows XP SP3, x86" Major="5" Minor="1" Build="2600" SPMajor="3" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>  
      <OS id="2" Name="Windows Vista SP2, x86" Major="6" Minor="0" Build="6002" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>
      <OS id="3" Name="Windows Vista SP2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="0" Build="6002" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="9"/>
      <OS id="4" Name="Windows 7, x86" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="0" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>
      <OS id="5" Name="Windows 7, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="0" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="9"/>    
      <OS id="6" Name="Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="1" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>
     </SupportedOS>

It would appear to me, given the last line in the file that Server 2008 R2 should actually be a viable backup client.

Even if this is non-supported (and I definitely know the difference between non-supported and works or doesn't work) can anyone tell me how I can add a Server 2008 R2 computer as a backup client to my SBSE 2011 server?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:49 AM

Answers

• Figured this out, and as it turns out, I had two problems, one I was able to figure out on my own and one I needed some help with.

The last line was the one causing me the problems:

<OS id="6" Name="Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="1" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>

I'd already worked out that this was looking for SP1 (the SPMajor="1" element) and I'd applied it already but was still getting the unsupported OS error. Turns out that the box I was trying to use as a client was also a DC and that required one additional change. To add a DC as a client you need to change the RequiredProductType element from "3" to "2".

Note that I actually wound up solving this on a WHS 2011 RC box and not an SBSE 2011 box so I've no idea what impact this would have on an existing DC on an SBSE 2011 box since it also does the whole domain join thing. Proceed at your own risk.

• Marked as answer by Paul AdareMVP Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:53 AM

All replies

• For the time being can you post all SBS-essential questions in the SBS
    essentials beta forum?

Thanks.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:59 PM
  • For SBS 2011 Essential questions, please post in SBS 2011 Essentials Support forum so as to get a better assistance.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, February 21, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Figured this out, and as it turns out, I had two problems, one I was able to figure out on my own and one I needed some help with.

I'd already worked out that this was looking for SP1 (the SPMajor="1" element) and I'd applied it already but was still getting the unsupported OS error. Turns out that the box I was trying to use as a client was also a DC and that required one additional change. To add a DC as a client you need to change the RequiredProductType element from "3" to "2".

Note that I actually wound up solving this on a WHS 2011 RC box and not an SBSE 2011 box so I've no idea what impact this would have on an existing DC on an SBSE 2011 box since it also does the whole domain join thing. Proceed at your own risk.

• Marked as answer by Paul AdareMVP Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:53 AM

I'm using WHS 2011. now with SP1. and Server 2008 enterprise SP2. I cannot connect this server to WHS with your supportedOS.xml modifications.

Is Server 2008 Enterprise SP2 needs specific entries. I have tried these.

<OS id="6" Name="ENABLE Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"Build="7600" SPMajor="" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>
        <OS id="7" Name="ENABLE Domain Controller Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"Build="7600" SPMajor="1" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""RequiredProductType="2" Architecture="9"/>
        <OS id="8" Name="ENABLE Domain Controller Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"Build="7600" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>
        <OS id="9" Name="ENABLE Domain Controller Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"Build="7600" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""RequiredProductType="2" Architecture="9"/>
        <OS id="10" Name="ENABLE Domain Controller Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"Build="7600" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>

For now my server is not a DC but it will become one.

thanks

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:17 PM
  • This exact solution worked for me - my DC is now being backed up by WHS 2011.

I *was* going to just edit the existing line for Server 2008 R2, but adding the additional line works and eliminates any potential issues that might have occurred changing the RequiredProductType element from 3 to 2.

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:00 PM