none
Setdpmserver file location

Question

• Hi, i Need to install the agent on Workgroup and servers on diffrent domain.

I cant find the setdpmserver.exe file. There is 4 under some funny long long directory but when i run it from there i get the following:

SetDpmServer image file is valid, "but is for a machine type other that the current machine"

Where is the file suppose to be or where can i donwload it?

Thanks

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:08 PM

Answers

• It seems the agent install did not work properly as the Bin folder is created and the files placed in it as part of the agent install process. You may want to uninstall the agent and try a fresh install. Also note if you run DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe <DPMServerName> to do the install instead of DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe you don't need to run SetDPMServer.exe, just do an attach from the DPM Console.

• Marked as answer by Danie Claassen Friday, February 04, 2011 2:04 PM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Ok, now i know where i was going wrong.. was looking on the dpm server for the file. Need to look on the pc where i installed the agent. lol

Working now... Thanks

Friday, February 04, 2011 2:03 PM

All replies

• BTW i dont have it in my Bin directory..
    Friday, February 04, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Have you installed the DPM agent on the server you are trying to protect? If so SetDPMServer.exe will be in \Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\ on the server you are protecting. If you have not installed the agent yet you need to do so. Follow the steps here to manually install the agent - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399459.aspx

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi, 

I have installed the Agent.

There is no "Setdpmserver.exe" in my Bin directory so cant run the command...

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:28 PM
  • It seems the agent install did not work properly as the Bin folder is created and the files placed in it as part of the agent install process. You may want to uninstall the agent and try a fresh install. Also note if you run DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe <DPMServerName> to do the install instead of DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe you don't need to run SetDPMServer.exe, just do an attach from the DPM Console.

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Ok, now i know where i was going wrong.. was looking on the dpm server for the file. Need to look on the pc where i installed the agent. lol

Working now... Thanks

Friday, February 04, 2011 2:03 PM

Working now... Thanks

All,

Does this apply for DPM 2012 SP1 ? I can't find SetDPMServer.exe

Cheers,

LM

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Hi LM,

SetDPMServer.exe is located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin" for all protected computer.

SetDPMServer.exe is not present on DPM server.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Hi Stepane,

It is indeed thanks.

I used this method so didn't need it.. (well not so far) many more agents to install yet..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757789.aspx

For a 64-bit computer, run the following command:

DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe <DPMServerName>
    where <DPMServerName> is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the DPM server.

For example: DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe DPMserver1.contoso.com
  • For a 32-bit computer, run the following command:

DpmAgentInstaller_x86.exe <DPMServerName>
    where <DPMServerName> is the fully qualified domain name of the DPM server.
    noteNote
    To perform a silent installation, you can use the /q option after the DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe command.

For example: DpmAgentInstaller_x64.exe /q <DPMServerName>

• If you specified a DPM server name in the command line in the previous step, this step is not required.

If you did not specify a DPM server name in the command line in the previous step, open an elevated Command Prompt on the targeted computer, and then run the following commands:

1. To change the directory on the targeted computer, run the following command:

cd /d <system drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin
      2. To configure the security accounts, permissions, and firewall exceptions necessary for the agent to communicate with a DPM server, run the following command:

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName <DPMServerName>

Cheers,

• LM

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:01 PM
  • All,

Touch wood after the SP1 RU1 updates for DPM and SC RU1 updates (plus a host of others via Windows Updates) things seem to be much slicker

The Agent FYI is now 4.1.3333.0 - SP1 was 4.1.3313.0

Cheers,

LM

• Proposed as answer by Patches Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:43 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:00 PM
  • hi All,

I am doing registration of DPM agent by Setdpmserver.exe.

Mentioned Command Help me.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>SetDPMServer.exe -dpm
    servername DPMSERVERNAME -isnondomainserver -username DPMACC1

Note:

1. Above command need to be run on Work group computer where we have installed DPM agent Manually.

2. DPMSERVERNAME and User name in command should be caps.

Kirpal Singh

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:12 AM