none
Cannot query MySQL: "The connection has been disabled"

General discussion

• I am trying to connect to a MySQL database via PowerPivot using a OLEDB/ODBC connection. I can create a connection successfully, can view the list of tables in the database, and can design a query, but when I click either Validate or Finish I get errors. The first error message is "The connection has been disabled". Then the second time and thereafter when I press Validate or Finish I get the error message "ExecuteReader requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed."

The MySql driver I am using is the MySql 32-bit ODBC connector v5.2.6. (I have set up a 32-bit driver here: c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe)

I am using Excel 2013 Standalone 32-bit, installed on top of Office 365 Small Business Premium 32-bit (the Excel standalone was installed afterwards to give me PowerPivot access).

I have had this working at one point before, I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but I think back then I was using a trial of 32-bit Office 365 ProPlus. I have since uninstalled that and am instead using Small Business Premium + Excel 2013 Standalone. One of the PowerPivot spreadsheets I created back then still works and can be refreshed, however I cannot edit the query (but can edit other non-MySQL queries in the same PowerPivot model).

Do anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

If not are there any good workarounds? Eg would 64-bit work any differently? (Not my preference since I would like other people to be able to refresh.) Or is there another way to connect to MySql? 

Any help appreciated.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:34 PM

All replies