none
AD User Account Ignores Profile Path.

Question

• Hello All,

I have a very odd situation occurring with one user, Lets call this user Bob Bobbington.

Now Bob Bobbington has been using their account on site for a number of months now with no issue. I the sys admin prepped them a new laptop this week and got them all setup.

All was well when the user took the Laptop home that evening and until that point their Roaming Profile was spot on.

The next day they advise when they logged on there was no IE icon, Items would not open etc so I thought MAYBE this did not finish syncing the profile. I logged on with Bob's details on site and I appeared to have the same issue and on any other PC I try things are not working.

Now on this users Desktop in their office things were fine (Bar the Start Menu). - I shall expand on this in a moment.

Endless attempts deleting the user profile from multiple PC's / VM's etc while testing and I am no further forward.

I have looked at the user in AD and can confirm the following

User Profile: Profile Path \\SERVERNAME\Roaming$\bob.bobbington
    Home Folder (H:) \\SERVERNAME\homedrives$\bob.bobbington

All PC's and the original desktop that have this issue have an interesting issue (Start Menu) which is also on the users main usual PC too.

After some investigation its attempting to goto \\SERVERNAME\USERS\ for the Start Menu and showing a whole load of old profiles (This is redundant from a Server Migration months and months ago) so on all these it shows this epic list of folders in the users All Programs section of the start menu (This should not be occurring as NO WHERE in AD for this users profile should it be touching this).

It is probably worth reminding you all this worked FINE until 2 days ago and there have been no changes (I am the only IT guy on site) We only had ONE DC (2008 R2) running all the AD stuff. Old Server is no longer present so no chance this could be the case an no Read Only DC either. We have only another 2008 R2 server running Exchange 2010.

I do not want to delete the account nor mess with having to move the mailbox to another user account I would like to get to the bottom of this issue.

I have also checked GPO's and got a full GPO report and nothing here setting this path. I am at a loss as far as I can make out there is NO logical reason or setting that should be causing this issue.

Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Anna,

In the end I renamed the account and created another with the same old username. I am going to have to read up about moving the Exchange 2010 mailbox from the old user account to the new one but for the time being I can work around that. It was most odd as with the new account and all the files moved back into the profile it works as expected.Regards,

Mike.

• Marked as answer by Mike T. Smith Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:44 PM
    Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Please try to create a new user and set the roaming profile on this user, and check if it will produce the same issue.

And you can also filter the Event log with the warning or error and the produce time.

To troubleshoot the roaming profile issue, please also check this article:

Troubleshoot User Profiles with Events

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Best Regards,

Anna

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 01, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hi Anna,

In the end I renamed the account and created another with the same old username. I am going to have to read up about moving the Exchange 2010 mailbox from the old user account to the new one but for the time being I can work around that. It was most odd as with the new account and all the files moved back into the profile it works as expected.Regards,

Mike.

• Marked as answer by Mike T. Smith Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:44 PM
    Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:44 PM