none
New data warehouse - schema generated from wizard results in columns marked allow null

Question

• So I have my first data warehouse started, and generated the schema into my DB with the wizard.  I noticed alll of the tables, including the main fact table has their columns allowing nulls.  I dont think I want to keep it this way.  So that means I would have to script out and re-create very table, minus the null attribute, correct?

Is there anyway to change this after the schema has already been generated, other than manually?

By "manually" I mean that I would script out each table, change the null attribute, then re-create the tables with the scripts.

Suggestions?

Friday, October 04, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Shifbit,

Instead of scripting,dropping, changing each attribute which is null to not null, and then creating the tables with the scripts, you could just go in the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), right click on each table you want to modify and then use the Design functionality. There you can select in the Allow Nulls column which column should be null and which one should not be.

Also, as a word of advice, it is better to start first with the relational design of the data warehouse and then build the SSAS cube on top of it instead of the other way around. This way you will have more control over your design.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Razvan

Per aspera ad astra!

• Marked as answer by shiftbit Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 7:19 PM